    Many thanks in advance for helping,
    Greetings,
    Gaston Verhulst.
    Gaston Verhulst, Oct 27, 2007

  2. On Oct 27, 3:51 pm, Gaston Verhulst <>
    wrote:
    > It happens, when I open a HTML-Link to a German site with
    > text with special letters as e.g. ä, ö, ü, that I can not see the
    > correct letters.

    So it is using the wrong character encoding.

    > Is in HTLM an option that I can ad to the Link description so I can
    > change automatically, in this case, to the Central-European
    > (Windows-1250) letterset?

    No, the responsibility for specifying the encoding of a document lies
    with the provider of the document, not with people who link to it.

    http://www.w3.org/International/O-charset

    --
    David Dorward
    http://dorward.me.uk/
    David Dorward, Oct 27, 2007

  3. Gaston Verhulst

    J.O. Aho Guest

    Gaston Verhulst wrote:
    > my HTML-Link in my Homepage looks like
    >
    > <A HREF="http://www.wein-plus.de/wdb/index.php3" target="_blank">Here
    > you can see the WineDataBase</A>
    >
    > Now please my question:
    > Is in HTLM an option that I can ad to the Link description so I can
    > change automatically, in this case, to the Central-European
    > (Windows-1250) letterset?

    There ain't any way to to tell the browser to change charset in a link,
    this is done with a meta tag on the page which is loaded

    This is from the page you had problems with, there is built in smartness
    in todays browsers, which looks for UTF-8 characters, if a such is
    found, the meta tag is ignored. The pages in question has some UTF-8
    characters mixed with the iso-8859-1, which makes the browser to display
    it as UTF-8, the best thing you can do, is to contact the webmaster or
    the author of the page, to fix the page.

    --

    //Aho
    J.O. Aho, Oct 27, 2007
  4. Scripsit J.O. Aho:

    > Gaston Verhulst wrote:
    >> my HTML-Link in my Homepage looks like
    >>
    >> <A HREF="http://www.wein-plus.de/wdb/index.php3" target="_blank">Here
    >> you can see the WineDataBase</A>

    At this point, I'd like to remark that the question has nothing to do with
    special letters in links (contrary to what the Subject line says) but deals
    with non-ASCII letters in page _content_.

    >> Now please my question:
    >> Is in HTLM an option that I can ad to the Link description so I can
    >> change automatically, in this case, to the Central-European
    >> (Windows-1250) letterset?

    > There ain't any way to to tell the browser to change charset in a
    > link,

    By the specifications, there are two ways to specify the encoding of a
    linked resource, namely the charset="..." attribute and the type="..."
    attribute (which may contain a charset attribute). Neither of them has any
    support in browsers, though, and neither of them is supposed to override the
    encoding specified in an HTTP header or in a meta tag.

    > this is done with a meta tag on the page which is loaded

    > charset=iso-8859-1">

    No, that meta tag has no effect here. It's the Content-Type header that
    matters, when it contains the charset parameter. (It happens to coincide
    with the information in the meta tag.)

    However, iso-8859-1 is the encoding specified for the frameset page. The
    page http://www.wein-plus.de/wdb/index.php3 is just a deceptive frameset
    document that "loads" two documents from another domain into frames, and
    these documents in turn have been declared to use utf-8 encoding. That's
    possible but a poor approach and may confuse poor browsers.

    > This is from the page you had problems with, there is built in
    > smartness in todays browsers, which looks for UTF-8 characters, if a
    > such is found, the meta tag is ignored.

    I don't think that's what happens here. Browsers obey HTTP headers. However,
    when they detect data errors, i.e. input data that does not constitute a
    proper UTF-8 data stream, they may react in different ways. All bets are
    off.

    > The pages in question has
    > some UTF-8 characters mixed with the iso-8859-1, which makes the
    > browser to display it as UTF-8, the best thing you can do, is to
    > contact the webmaster or the author of the page, to fix the page.

    I didn't study the pages in detail but I noticed data that is apparently
    meant to be iso-8859-1 encoded. The problem is on the server side, and there
    are various ways to fix it, by changing the data, or by changing the HTTP
    headers. Unfortunately, many authors and server administrators don't
    understand encoding issues, so don't expect too much.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 28, 2007