    connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
    Server/Instance Specified)

    thanks

    3Dfelix, Aug 17, 2006

  2. 3Dfelix

    Willem Guest

    Just a wild guess, but are you accessing a MDF which is marked
    read-only by any chance?

    Willem, Aug 17, 2006

  3. In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
    Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you should
    see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make sure
    it is checked.

    That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the same
    error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
    Jav

    =?Utf-8?B?SmF2?=, Aug 17, 2006
  4. 3Dfelix

    cowznofsky Guest

    You know, at home I just applied xp sp2 to one of my computers, and now
    I cannot connect to its instance of SQLServer from another computer.

    I'll have to check this. I wonder if it got turned off by the sp2
    installation.

    cowznofsky, Aug 17, 2006
  5. 3Dfelix

    3Dfelix Guest

    Hi Jav,

    Thanks for your reply, but I haven't got SQL Management Studio, I'm using
    SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS.

    thanks

    3Dfelix, Aug 21, 2006
  6. 3Dfelix

    Kevin Jones Guest

    There is an express management studio you can download

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

    Kevin Jones, Aug 21, 2006
  7. re:
    > under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections

    To fix that, follow the instructions in this KB :
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;914277

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Aug 21, 2006
  8. 3Dfelix

    Yui-Ikari

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    sry double post :(

    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
    Yui-Ikari, Mar 2, 2007
  9. 3Dfelix

    Yui-Ikari

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    I actually tried that and still didn't work. So tried this:
    1)Go to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.
    2)On the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration page, click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections.
    3)On the Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections page, expand Database Engine, click Remote Connections, click Local and remote connections, click the appropriate protocol to enable for your environment, and then click Apply.

    It seems that this fixed my problem

    -----------------------------------
    I Still have the same problem, I ran out of idea. Here is the Error that i get:
    Code:
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at DatasettoSQL.Class1.ConnectToSQLServ() in c:\documents and settings\andrea\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\dataset to sql\dataset to sql\dataset to sql.cpp:line 25
       at Service.meowmeow() in c:\Documents and Settings\Andrea\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WS2\App_Code\Service.cs:line 20

    Yui-Ikari, Mar 2, 2007
  10. 3Dfelix

    Dwight

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I did everything this page suggested and still got the same error. It turns out my connection string required the exact [server]\[instance] name for Data Source rather than 'localhost'.

    Dwight, Jul 11, 2008
  11. 3Dfelix

    gaetano

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Yeah, that's wright, the first reason is a ConnectionString, you should check it first :)

    gaetano, Jan 3, 2009
  12. 3Dfelix

    bartekm

    Joined: