Standalone Executables

rsupansic

Please forgive my ignorance in posting the following question. But I
have been unable to find a clear answer.

I have written a word processor for writing programs in two versions,
one which runs under Windows/DOS and one which runs at the Linux
command line. (Having an identical interface in both is extremely
useful.)

The latter was compiled and written under SUSE Professional 7.0.
Recently I tried to run the code under SUSE 10.0. To my dismay, I got
the following error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3
cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Obviously, SUSE 10.0 utilizes a newer version of the C++ libraries. I
assume that recompiling the code on the new machine will produce a
runnable version.

My question is two-fold. Will I have to do this every time there is a
new version of the C++ libraries? Or, is there a way to compile a
standalone executable that completely self-contains its own libraries?
My ignorance consists of the details of the compilation/linking
process.

Thanks for any help.

Rolf Magnus

Please forgive my ignorance in posting the following question. But I
have been unable to find a clear answer.

I have written a word processor for writing programs in two versions,

What exactly is "a word processor for writing programs"? Do you mean a text
editor?
one which runs under Windows/DOS and one which runs at the Linux
command line. (Having an identical interface in both is extremely
useful.)

The latter was compiled and written under SUSE Professional 7.0.
Recently I tried to run the code under SUSE 10.0. To my dismay, I got
the following error message:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.3
cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Obviously, SUSE 10.0 utilizes a newer version of the C++ libraries. I
assume that recompiling the code on the new machine will produce a
runnable version.

My question is two-fold. Will I have to do this every time there is a
new version of the C++ libraries? Or, is there a way to compile a
standalone executable that completely self-contains its own libraries?

Your question hasn't really anything to do with the C++ language, which is
the topic of this newsgroup. Search for "static linking" in your compiler
manual.