STL/CLR library in Visual Studio 2008

Vicent Giner-Bosch

This is a question related with Visual Studio 2008 --I hope you don't
mind. ;-)

At http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/bb385954.aspx they say
that "The STL/CLR Library is a packaging of the Standard Template
Library (STL), a subset of the Standard C++ Library, for use with C++
and the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR). With STL/CLR,
you can use all the containers, iterators, and algorithms of STL in a
managed environment."

If I am not going to use .NET features, but only "Visual Studio" ones,
do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
environment" mean??

Thank you for your answers.

Öö Tiib

This is a question related with Visual Studio 2008 --I hope you don't
mind.   ;-)

At  http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/bb385954.aspx  they say
that "The STL/CLR Library is a packaging of the Standard Template
Library (STL), a subset of the Standard C++ Library, for use with C++
and the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR). With STL/CLR,
you can use all the containers, iterators, and algorithms of STL in a
managed environment."

If I am not going to use .NET features, but only "Visual Studio" ones,
do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
environment" mean??

Microsoft has useful real C++ compiler in Visual Studio 2008. That
compiles real C++. It compiles quite well. If you do not want .NET
then you can use that C++ compiler just fine but everything 'managed'
turn off.

A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
+, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
may think you are infected. ;)

Victor Bazarov

Öö Tiib said:
[..]
A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
+, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
may think you are infected. ;)

... and they will try to shoot you in the head! :)