    do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
    environment" mean??

    Thank you for your answers.
    Vicent Giner-Bosch, Jan 26, 2010

  2. Vicent Giner-Bosch

    Öö Tiib Guest

    On Jan 26, 8:59 pm, Vicent Giner-Bosch <> wrote:
    > This is a question related with Visual Studio 2008 --I hope you don't
    > mind.   ;-)
    >
    > At  http://msdn.microsoft.com/es-es/library/bb385954.aspx  they say
    > that "The STL/CLR Library is a packaging of the Standard Template
    > Library (STL), a subset of the Standard C++ Library, for use with C++
    > and the .NET Framework common language runtime (CLR). With STL/CLR,
    > you can use all the containers, iterators, and algorithms of STL in a
    > managed environment."
    >
    > If I am not going to use .NET features, but only "Visual Studio" ones,
    > do I need STL/CLR library, or not? What does exactly "a managed
    > environment" mean??

    Microsoft has useful real C++ compiler in Visual Studio 2008. That
    compiles real C++. It compiles quite well. If you do not want .NET
    then you can use that C++ compiler just fine but everything 'managed'
    turn off.

    A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
    C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
    +, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
    write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
    abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
    may think you are infected. ;)
    Öö Tiib, Jan 26, 2010

  3. Öö Tiib wrote:
    > [..]
    > A "managed environment" there means .NET byte-code. In connection with
    > C++ it means a ghoul. It is a thing MS calls C++/CLI. It is undead C+
    > +, and .NET byte-code runs in its veins. If you want to use .NET then
    > write software in Visual Basic or C# but keep away from that ugly
    > abomination. In this newsgroup it is dangerous to mention it, people
    > may think you are infected. ;)

    ... and they will try to shoot you in the head! :)

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 26, 2010