Strange web.config problem

Bill Youngman

Have web application that is working fine on my local development machine;
however, when it is being installed on a QA machine it has to be installed
under another web app directory and it is erroring out. More specifically it
appears to be using the web.config file from the app directory that is it's
parent directory.

We've verified that there is a web.config file in my application's web
directory and it is in fact the correct one that is supposed to be being
used by my application. Yet everytime we browse to the site we are getting
an error telling us that references that are being used by this config file
can not be found (these references are being referenced in the web.config
file in the parent directory not in my config file.

We are stumped at this point and any suggestions/ideas from people who might
have run into this issue in the past would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bill Youngman

societopia.net

Right-mouse click the folder in IIS and if the Application Name is grayed out
click on the create button.

Bill Youngman

No that wasn't it - everything was configured correctly in Application tab.

Bill Youngman

Still don't know what is causing this; however, we did discover a work
around (strange and convoluted as it may be) and that is to remove the
web.config file from the web app directory that is the parent directory to
our app. Of course when we need to use the other web app we have to put it's
web config file back in the directory. Like I said - strange and convoluted.

I replicated our web app configuration as close as possible on my local
development machine and was able to successfully access our web application.
We're thinking that the network guys might have installed a new security
patch or windows update to the effected server.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem as this?

Amit Save

Hi Bill,

As you mentioned at QA machine your application is installed under another
application. Thus this 'another application's web.config comes into the
picture.

IIS uses machine.config at top most level and it applies to all the
applications on the server, web root's web.config overrides this
configuration and it applies to applications under that web root.

Your application is installed under another web application hence it is
inheriting this another web application's web.config and thats causing
problem to your application as it is adding unnecessary references.

Either install your application out side another appliaction or if you are
using IIS 6, create another web root and install your application there.

Hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Amit :)