String Manipulation

morc

thank you wong. I had no mailcious intent. And im happy the person who
i was accused of being offensive too doesn't think so either.
i think most of you guys should calm down. It woulda probably been
easier to ignore this then too start a flamefest.

Luc The Perverse

morc said:
thank you wong. I had no mailcious intent. And im happy the person who
i was accused of being offensive too doesn't think so either.
i think most of you guys should calm down. It woulda probably been
easier to ignore this then too start a flamefest.

My usenet history is alt.games.* and I have affiliated myself in the past
with online organizations whose primary purpose is trolling, flaming and
hostile group take overs - these usenet armies would "Attack" an enemy group
by posting hundreds and hundreds of posts of useless drivel.

I have tried to take myself down - but I do have the occassional knee jerk
reaction. I realize comp.* is not alt.* and try to act [more]
appropriately. But I can't stop being me - and wouldn't want to anyway.

Seriously I was trying to give you some advice - and chose the wrong method
of delivery. You didn't "offend" me - and I certainly hope you didn't take
anything I said too seriously.

Although I really would appreciate it if you would start quoting - if you
don't know what this means, or how to do it we would be more than happy to
help you.

Michael Redlich

Luc said:
Appearantly I pissed everyone off - sorry about that.

But am I the only one that finds it offensive for someone to march into a
group, post a question and expect everyone in the group to bend over
backwards for them?

Luc:

To be quite honest, I didn't find that questionmarc420 was expecting
everyone to drop what they were doing to help him. I will say that his
post was a bit long-winded, but there seemed to be a significant effort
on his part to solve the problem.

What really burns my butt (other than a three-foot high flame) are all
those students that procrastinate with their computing projects, and
post desperate cries for help as the deadline draws near. Did you
happen to see the thread where a student was offering 30 pounds to
complete his project? Amazing...

Anywho, what's done is done, and the time has come to move forward!
What's cool about groups like this is the fact that it's a place to
share experiences, knowledge, and skills. That's what it's all about!

I had my growing pains with these groups as well. Early last month, I
posted an announcement about an upcoming Java Users Group event, and it
apparently irked a few people. One person in particular thought it
would be *cute* to be a wise guy. I was even being accused of being a
spammer. I would have appreciated a tactful response saying that I
shouldn't be doing that. As a result, I responded in a negative way as
well, and it got a bit ugly. It turns out that the person who started
the whole mess is actually quite talented, and has some intelligence,
but he could have fooled me with his initial response. You know what
they say about first impressions...

Mike.

--- ACGNJ Java Users Group (http://www.javasig.org/)

Roedy Green

I was even being accused of being a
spammer.

I got accused of this too for answering the question on a subject line
instead of the one buried in one of the posts in the thread. I
suspect "spammer" is becoming the geek word for "mutherfucker". It
is not meant to be taken literally any more than "mutherfucker" is.

Either that, or people are stupid to use a word they don't know
meaning of.

Michael Redlich

Roedy said:
I got accused of this too for answering the question on a subject line
instead of the one buried in one of the posts in the thread. I
suspect "spammer" is becoming the geek word for "mutherfucker". It
is not meant to be taken literally any more than "mutherfucker" is.

Either that, or people are stupid to use a word they don't know
meaning of.

Hi Roedy:

I was very surprised at how many people would consider posting a Java
User Group meeting announcement as "spam." There was some discussion
about this on "Programmer's Avenue" recently.

I realize that these groups are global, but if I happen to see an
announcement about a Java User Group meeting in, say, Seattle,
Washington, and I'm sitting in New Jersey, my reaction would simply be,
"Well, it would be nice to attend this one, but..." One would think
that Java developers would appreciate hearing about this kind of
stuff...

Oh well, maybe I'm just from the "old school."

Anywho, I've been meaning to tell you how much I like your web site.
It's an excellent resource, and I've noticed that you can answer
questions simply by pointing to a section of your web site. Cool!

Sincerely,

Mike.

--- ACGNJ Java Users Group (http://www.javasig.org/)

Roedy Green

I've noticed that you can answer
questions simply by pointing to a section of your web site. Cool!

Much of the time that is an illusion. I compose an answer, post it to
the website, then point to it, making it look as if the answers to all
questions were preexisting. see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/author.html
for my essay on this sort of magic.

I figure that is the best way of preparing content that people
actually want to read.

What is amusing is sometimes people berate me for my laziness in
posting links. It takes quite a bit more work to prepare an answer
for the website in nicely formatted HTML, proofread, and knowing this
is not just a one-shot response, but a public announcement for
possibly years to come, that will be read outside the context of the
thread that sparked it and by a wider audience than is involved in a
thread, that needs use a variety of vocabulary to let people find it
by Google, containing answers to related questions...

Even when a link is pre-existing, I often freshen it before posting
the link to bring it up to date, fix broken links etc.

javabuddha

I think it's a great that you have ready polished answers stored at
your site.
It's more work, but a lot more useful as future references. I just
started a site
where I hope that everyone could do the same at:

http://www.suckingfish.com/viewTag.do?tags=java

I am hoping with more people contributing, the answers could get
polished
and improved through time. So far the concept is working out fairly
well, if you type in "learning lucene" in Google, one of the topics is
actually the first link. However, as you know, these answers and links
take time to compose so it's still a question mark on how many people
would spend the time to do so.

Matt