Students Fro Academic Freedom

Uncle Al

Mary Rosemount wrote:
[sni[]

"Fro?" Hey lady - eating an aphrodisiac doesn't make your hair all
black and frizzy. An education isn't about freedom unless you are
taking courses absent objective reality. You pay your bucks, you
plant your butt in a chair, you do homework, you read the library, and
just maybe you come out as more of a human being than when you went
in. A student should be subjected to every social, procedural,
administrative, pecuniary, and contextual insult until it learns to
vote Conservative - because the world is not about voting yourself
rich out of the public exchequer. Nature is red in tooth and claw.
The only safe place is behind the trigger. The big sweating guy who
beats the drum doesn't have to pull at the oars.

Is Jacques Derrida still teaching at UC/Irvine or did they finally
toss the logorrheic poseur out on his ear?

Uncle Al says, "History is a graveyard in which the magnificence of
its markers bears little relationship to the interred."

Josh Halpern

Uncle said:
Mary Rosemount wrote:
[sni[]

"Fro?" Hey lady - eating an aphrodisiac doesn't make your hair all
black and frizzy.
Al, bubby, this is the David Horowitz black frizzy hair crowd, you
know the ones who press the button real fast and are excellent at
math and science each and every one.

Chinese guy: The only smart people are Asians and Jews
Jewish guy: You never met my relatives

Taa
josh halpern

Richard Schultz

: You pay your bucks, you plant your butt in a chair, you do homework, you
: read the library, and just maybe you come out as more of a human being
: than when you went in.

Too bad that it seems not to have worked in your case. Or perhaps it did --
now *there's* a frightening thought.

Joona I Palaste

Aatu Koskensilta <[email protected]> scribbled the following
So your opinion is that Academic freedom should be protected by removing
this freedom from the professors, so that no one gets their feelings hurt?

Isn't that practically the idea that's happening here in Finland as
well? I think I read somewhere that in junior soccer matches, goals are
not counted any more, so that no one would get emotionally scarred for
having once been on the losing side in a soccer match. Those poor wee
bairns!

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"Insanity is to be shared."

Starblade Darksquall

Uncle Al said:
Mary Rosemount wrote:
[...]

Did you even go to the site?

If you're a conservative, then... uh, dude... this person is kind of
on your side? Or something?

(...Starblade Riven Darksquall...)

Jirka Klaue

Joona I Palaste wrote:

[OT reply to OT post]

Make up your mind. Stop posting OT crap yourself or stop
advising others to do so.

Jirka

Joona I Palaste

Jirka Klaue <[email protected]> scribbled the following
Joona I Palaste wrote:
[OT reply to OT post]
Make up your mind. Stop posting OT crap yourself or stop
advising others to do so.

I choose the former option. I'll killfile this thread.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"This is a personnel commuter."

Richard Henry

Joona I Palaste said:
Aatu Koskensilta <[email protected]> scribbled the following

hurt?

Isn't that practically the idea that's happening here in Finland as
well? I think I read somewhere that in junior soccer matches, goals are
not counted any more, so that no one would get emotionally scarred for
having once been on the losing side in a soccer match. Those poor wee
bairns!

Locally, in some of the 4-a-side games for really young players the scores
are not posted on the scoreboard. However, the referee keeps track on paper
so that any one player is limited to scoring 3 goals, and if a team gets
down by three or more, they get an extra player.

C. Bond

Richard Henry wrote:

[snip]
Locally, in some of the 4-a-side games for really young players the scores
are not posted on the scoreboard. However, the referee keeps track on paper
so that any one player is limited to scoring 3 goals, and if a team gets
down by three or more, they get an extra player.

Don't you think someone besides the referee will notice the extra player? Why
not just keep score?

Uncle Al

Virgil said:
How about students for correct spelling?

You don't know much about the dialectic of freedom. Uncle Al would
like to see the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation fund a university
chair for the dielectric of freedom. It can start by defining an
"insularating" medium.

Spelling is tyrrany! Spelling is historic White Protestant European
atrocities levied upon the ethnic celebrations of Peoples of Colour.
Sub-Saharan Africans and Amerindians didn't have written languages.
Their cultures were pure, eternal truths being reaffirmed and honed
with every telling. Book learning is an anchor. It prevents the
White man from sailing the beautiful seas of true knowledge.

Give the gal a break. She is young, ignorant, angry, and
State-supported - but not Mil-Spec.

Jon Bell

Spelling is tyrrany! Spelling is historic White Protestant European
atrocities levied upon the ethnic celebrations of Peoples of Colour.

Then why do my European-American students have just as much trouble
spelling as my African-American students? ;-)

My all-time favorite is the fellow who, in a lab report, listed the four
visible spectral lines of hydrogen as red, blue-green, violate, and deep
violate.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

on 09/17/2003 said:
Newsgroups:
soc.college.admissions,sci.math,sci.physics,sci.chem,comp.lang.c

Mary, what you need is a good fsck. What does your article have to do
with C, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics?

Academic freedom includes the freedom to ignore PC nonsense and the
freedom to flunk students who can't or won't master the material.

Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve
the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do
not reply to (e-mail address removed)

Richard Bos

C. Bond said:
Don't you think someone besides the referee will notice the extra player? Why
not just keep score?

Oh, for heavens' sake. Children of that age not only can, but will count
for themselves, if only because it's so much fun going "Seven-three!
Seven-three! Neener, neener!". All these people trying to be "nice for
the sake of the chiillldruuunnn" are stupid for not realising (or,
indeed, remembering) how un-nice children themselves can be.

Richard

Timo Voipio

Richard said:
Oh, for heavens' sake. Children of that age not only can, but will count
for themselves, if only because it's so much fun going "Seven-three!
Seven-three! Neener, neener!". All these people trying to be "nice for
the sake of the chiillldruuunnn" are stupid for not realising (or,
indeed, remembering) how un-nice children themselves can be.

And who should, as a reminder, read Golding's Lord of the Flies.

Besides, I think that competitiveness just prepares the kids for the real
world...

Josh Halpern

Richard said:
Oh, for heavens' sake. Children of that age not only can, but will count
for themselves, if only because it's so much fun going "Seven-three!
Seven-three! Neener, neener!". All these people trying to be "nice for
the sake of the chiillldruuunnn" are stupid for not realising (or,
indeed, remembering) how un-nice children themselves can be.
We counted for ourselves, we rebalanced the teams if it got out of hand,
or we went and did something else or half the group wandered off.
We played till we got tired, not till the final whistle. Team sports came
in high school

In rational places you still see people gathering together to kick, throw or
flip it about.

The real issue is what are kids that young doing playing with coaches
and referees. No wonder the Brazilians have the best players.

josh halpern

meron

And who should, as a reminder, read Golding's Lord of the Flies.
Yes, yes.
Besides, I think that competitiveness just prepares the kids for the real
world...

Exactly. This is what the purpose of all play is, preparation for the
real world. The modern "enlightened" educational approach, though, is
based on keeping kids as sheltered from the real world as possible
till they reach 18, then expect them to magically turn into adults at
this date. Then everybody is surprised why there are so many immature
people around.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
(e-mail address removed) | chances are he is doing just the same"