Students Fro Academic Freedom

Richard Henry

Richard Bos wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

Locally, in some of the 4-a-side games for really young players the scores
are not posted on the scoreboard. However, the referee keeps track on paper
so that any one player is limited to scoring 3 goals, and if a team gets
down by three or more, they get an extra player.

Don't you think someone besides the referee will notice the extra player?
Why
not just keep score?

Oh, for heavens' sake. Children of that age not only can, but will count
for themselves, if only because it's so much fun going "Seven-three!
Seven-three! Neener, neener!". All these people trying to be "nice for
the sake of the chiillldruuunnn" are stupid for not realising (or,
indeed, remembering) how un-nice children themselves can be.

We counted for ourselves, we rebalanced the teams if it got out of hand,
or we went and did something else or half the group wandered off.
We played till we got tired, not till the final whistle. Team sports came
in high school

In rational places you still see people gathering together to kick, throw or
flip it about.

The real issue is what are kids that young doing playing with coaches
and referees. No wonder the Brazilians have the best players.

Maybe there's some hope. My daughter and two sons (when not working with
their teams and coaches) set up a pitch in the house with the two goals
being the laundry room door and a dining rooom chair. We had to call it off
as they got bigger and their shots started cracking the wallboard.

jmfbahciv

Yes, yes.

Exactly. This is what the purpose of all play is, preparation for the
real world. The modern "enlightened" educational approach, though, is
based on keeping kids as sheltered from the real world as possible
till they reach 18, then expect them to magically turn into adults at
this date. Then everybody is surprised why there are so many immature
people around.

Like the principal who cancelled the valedictorian rituals
because all the other kids might feel bad. The gal who
lost out proposed that athletic letters also be cancelled.
Bread and circus, anyone?

None of this has anything to do with sex bias (tying a knot
in two threads). It has everything to do with squishing
anybody who has original analytical thought potential.

/BAH

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

meron

Like the principal who cancelled the valedictorian rituals
because all the other kids might feel bad. The gal who
lost out proposed that athletic letters also be cancelled.
Bread and circus, anyone?
:))

None of this has anything to do with sex bias (tying a knot
in two threads). It has everything to do with squishing
anybody who has original analytical thought potential.
School boards are elected by the vast "majorities of the average" and
cater to those.

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
(e-mail address removed) | chances are he is doing just the same"

meron

<snip>

Yep. That gal had spunk. She'll do well if she continues with
the attitude.
I hope she does. We need more like her.