Programmers motivation: academic research

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mark Pith, Nov 10, 2009.

  1. Mark Pith

    Mark Pith Guest

    Dear Ruby community,

    We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software
    programmers and would like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale
    research. The research is performed for the Amsterdam Business School of
    the University of Amsterdam. Your participation would consist of
    completing an online survey to which we have linked below. Your
    participation is completely anonymous and the research publication will
    be freely available, including the results of the survey.

    The goal of the research is to better understand the motivations
    software programmers have for joining and contributing to an Open Source
    project. The insights gained from this research would help the
    development of theory for Information Management and could help
    practitioners better understand Open Source projects. Next to this, the
    publication of this research will increase the exposure of the
    development of Open Source software within the academic environment.
    Please follow the link to the online survey.

    Our test audience has shown that completing the survey will take about
    15 minutes. Your time is highly appreciated by us.

    http://bit.ly/Survey_Developers_Motivation

    Kind regards,
    Dr. Thomas Adelaar
    Mark Pith

    Mark Pith, Nov 10, 2009

  2. On Nov 10, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Mark Pith wrote:

    > Dear Ruby community,
    >=20
    > We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software
    > programmers and would like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale
    > research.

    > Please follow the link to the online survey.

    I took the survey, but this was my final comment:

    This questionnaire is very repetitive. Questions like "Will working on =
    this project get me a better job?" or "Does working on this project =
    increase my reputation?" are asked many different times in almost the =
    exact same way.

    It would probably be less of a commitment, and as such more programmers =
    would be willing to answer, if you could eliminate the repetition.

    James Edward Gray II=

    James Edward Gray II, Nov 10, 2009

  3. On 10.11.2009 15:30, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    > On Nov 10, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Mark Pith wrote:
    >
    >> Dear Ruby community,
    >>
    >> We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software
    >> programmers and would like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale
    >> research.

    >> Please follow the link to the online survey.

    > I took the survey, but this was my final comment:
    >
    > This questionnaire is very repetitive. Questions like "Will working on this project get me a better job?" or "Does working on this project increase my reputation?" are asked many different times in almost the exact same way.
    >
    > It would probably be less of a commitment, and as such more programmers would be willing to answer, if you could eliminate the repetition.

    I haven't looked at the survey but it is common practice to state the
    same question differently more than once in order to calculate an
    indicator of the consistency of answers. If consistency falls below a
    certain threshold the result is discarded because it is assumed that the
    person taking the questionnaire either picked random values or did not
    fully concentrate on the survey.

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Nov 10, 2009
  4. Mark Pith

    Tom Cloyd Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > On 10.11.2009 15:30, James Edward Gray II wrote:
    >> On Nov 10, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Mark Pith wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dear Ruby community,
    >>>
    >>> We are researching the motivation factors of Open Source software
    >>> programmers and would like to ask your cooperation in our large-scale
    >>> research.

    >>> Please follow the link to the online survey.

    >> I took the survey, but this was my final comment:
    >>
    >> This questionnaire is very repetitive. Questions like "Will working
    >> on this project get me a better job?" or "Does working on this
    >> project increase my reputation?" are asked many different times in
    >> almost the exact same way.
    >>
    >> It would probably be less of a commitment, and as such more
    >> programmers would be willing to answer, if you could eliminate the
    >> repetition.

    > I haven't looked at the survey but it is common practice to state the
    > same question differently more than once in order to calculate an
    > indicator of the consistency of answers. If consistency falls below a
    > certain threshold the result is discarded because it is assumed that
    > the person taking the questionnaire either picked random values or did
    > not fully concentrate on the survey.
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > robert

    I want to offer agreement with Robert's comment. As someone with formal
    training in psychometrics I can assure you "measure twice (or more), cut
    once" is a well validated and approved of practice in psychological and
    sociological research, and most especially in research involving subject
    response, as opposed to researcher- or instrumentation-evaluation or
    measurement. In a word, repetition confers reliability of measurement.
    Without that, research of any kind is pointless.

    It's unfortunate, of course, that research subjects sometimes protest
    about the experience this necessary measurement convention gives them.
    The only fix for this is a research instrument that is so clever that
    the repetition is not noticed, and that's not easy or cheap to develop.
    No easy solutions, here.

    I have to hope that folks here will do the survey for the sake of
    assisting the researchers, whose intent, we may fairly assume, is to
    increase our understanding of this important and most interesting community.

    Tom

    Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
    Private practice Psychotherapist
    Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
    << >> (email)
    << TomCloyd.com >> (website)
    << sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)

    Tom Cloyd, Nov 10, 2009
  5. Mark Pith

    Mark Pith Guest

    > I took the survey, but this was my final comment:
    >
    > This questionnaire is very repetitive. Questions like "Will working on
    > this project get me a better job?" or "Does working on this project
    > increase my reputation?" are asked many different times in almost the
    > exact same way.
    >
    > It would probably be less of a commitment, and as such more programmers
    > would be willing to answer, if you could eliminate the repetition.
    >
    > James Edward Gray II

    Thanks James for taking the time to participate in our research. And
    thank you Tom and Robert for replying to James' remarks on the survey.

    Indeed some of the questions seem repetitive and we do apologize if this
    led to any annoyance, however it is needed to have similar questions in
    the survey to get reliable results (as Tom and Robert indicated).

    Please let me know if you wish to have more information on the survey
    design.
    (please note that information on the research, including the survey
    design, will not be disclosed until the research is completed)

    Kind regards,
    Mark

    Mark Pith, Nov 11, 2009
  6. Mark Pith wrote:

    > Indeed some of the questions seem repetitive and we do apologize if this
    > led to any annoyance, however it is needed to have similar questions in
    > the survey to get reliable results (as Tom and Robert indicated).

    Remember that you're talking to people who hate repeating themselves...
    :)

    Aldric Giacomoni, Nov 11, 2009
  7. Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
    > Mark Pith wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed some of the questions seem repetitive and we do apologize if this
    >> led to any annoyance, however it is needed to have similar questions in
    >> the survey to get reliable results (as Tom and Robert indicated).

    > Remember that you're talking to people who hate repeating themselves...
    > :)

    Not only that, but we hate repeating ourselves. :D

    (I haven't taken the survey yet, but I intend to.)

    Best,
    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser
    http://www.marnen.org

    Marnen Laibow-Koser, Nov 11, 2009
  8. Mark Pith

    Josh Cheek Guest

    On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser <>wrote:

    > Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
    > > Mark Pith wrote:
    > >
    > >> Indeed some of the questions seem repetitive and we do apologize if this
    > >> led to any annoyance, however it is needed to have similar questions in
    > >> the survey to get reliable results (as Tom and Robert indicated).

    > > Remember that you're talking to people who hate repeating themselves...
    > > :)

    > Not only that, but we hate repeating ourselves. :D
    >
    > (I haven't taken the survey yet, but I intend to.)
    >
    > Best,
    > --
    > Marnen Laibow-Koser
    > http://www.marnen.org

    Sure there may be merit to similar questions when quizzing some groups of
    people, the thing is, though, that we really hate repeating ourselves.

    Josh Cheek, Nov 11, 2009
  9. Mark Pith

    Mark Pith Guest

    Aldric Giacomoni wrote:
    > Mark Pith wrote:
    >
    >> Indeed some of the questions seem repetitive and we do apologize if this
    >> led to any annoyance, however it is needed to have similar questions in
    >> the survey to get reliable results (as Tom and Robert indicated).

    > Remember that you're talking to people who hate repeating themselves...
    > :)

    Ah I'm sorry, I didn't know you hated others repeating themselves as
    well ;)

    I'll repeat myself by saying: thanks for taking the time to have a look
    at our survey!

    Mark Pith, Nov 12, 2009