SV: Choosing the right framework

Discussion in 'Python' started by Carsten Gehling, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. > Fra:

    Sorry - you're right :) In fact this is also the way I would configure
    Zope.

    > Note, however, that Twisted is *not* a web framework. It has a web
    > server, but writing in that raw is much like writing raw mod_python
    > code -- it's often useful, but most of the time, it is the wrong
    > level of abstraction. Twisted's "official" templating system is
    > Woven. However, Twisted also works with Quixote and it is quite possible
    > to adapt other frameworks to it. And lest I forget, webtk[0]
    > also runs on top of Twisted.

    Ahh, now I didn't know this - YAFTR (Yet Another Framework To Research.....)

    > It, is, however, still strange to me why you rejected Plone so carelessly
    > as it *is*, actually, a CMS. Maybe you had good reasons too -- but until
    > you explain those reasons, it will be hard to guess whether they apply
    > to other web frameworks.

    This may be due to pure lazyness. I looked at Plone for 3 days, and still
    didn't "grasp it". Add to this a heavy burden of work.

    I may be ignorant of major Plone issues, but here are my main "grudges"
    against it (please bear in mind that I haven't researched Plone for more
    than 3 days, and some of my arguments may look plain stupid ;-) :

    <grudge>
    1) I don't the idea, that the user authentication (login form) to managing
    the content of the website is visible on the website's pages.

    2) I want the content management interface to be similar to the one I
    currently use in my own CMS. (One frame with a tree structure of the page
    hierarki, one frame with the page displayed, and content editing forms as
    popup windows).
    </grudge>

    - Carsten
    Carsten Gehling, Jul 16, 2003