    code for Xilinx Spartan or Virtex chip, will I need to do a lot of
    changes?

    Thanks
    bobrics, Feb 19, 2005

  2. bobrics

    Jezwold Guest

    The only real differences will come if your xilinx secific code
    directly instantiates devices which are built into the fpga fabric such
    as multipliers,lsr16s or DCMs etc.I have found that in most cases its
    fairly easy to migrate code between the two manufacturers.Obviously
    your performance will take a big hit you you make heavy use of such
    'built in' xilinx features.
    Jezwold, Feb 20, 2005

  3. bobrics

    bobrics Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    If you use multipliers in Xilinx by instantiating certain components,
    then you could probably instantiate similar component in Altera.

    Are their architectures pretty similar, comparing device families?
    bobrics, Feb 21, 2005
  4. bobrics

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    bobrics wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have some experience with Xilinx FPGA's and Webpack tool. I was
    > thinking about doing some project for fun at home and found Pluto
    > board that uses Altera FPGA.
    >
    > Is it easy to jump from one system to another one in terms of
    > learning time?

    There are really two parts to this: one is the tools, and the other is
    the devices themselves.

    The tools are pretty comparable -- to me, Quartus seems more
    integrated, where ISE is more a collection of individual pieces. For
    example, in Quartus, you have one place that you setup things like the
    colors for almost any tool, where ISE has a separate setup screen for
    each individual tool. Quartus also supports Tcl, so you can create your
    own toolbar buttons and assign scripts to them. Then again, I've never
    really used this, and never particularly missed it in ISE either.

    The hardware depends a lot on which exact chips you compare -- the
    Pluto board seems to use an Acex 1K part, which is fairly comparable to
    a Xilinx Spartan 2. If you're using to something newer (e.g. a Spartan
    3) your design might easily use features it's missing, so you may have
    to write your own logic for them, and/or lose some performance. OTOH,
    if you've used mostly older Xilinx parts (e.g. the original Spartan)
    you'll probably find some new features you didn't get to play with
    before (unfortunately, my memory that far back is slightly undertain,
    so I'm hard put to say more about this with certainty).

    Most typical code, however, works about the same with one as the other.
    I've never tried to do a careful comparison, but as a general
    impression the comparable Altera parts generally seem a little faster
    than their Xilinx counterparts.

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Feb 21, 2005
  5. bobrics

    Jezwold Guest

    Xilinx and Alera seem to match each other pretty evenly and have
    equivelents for each others families.Altera have multipliers which are
    almost exactly the same as ones found in xilinx parts for
    example.However much of the time if I am using a multiplier for example
    I let the synthesis tool infer it from the hdl rather than specifically
    instantiate it .
    Jezwold, Feb 21, 2005
  6. bobrics

    bobrics Guest

    So, for multiplication you are using SIGNAL1 * SIGNAL2 format and let
    synthesis tool decide itself what to do?

    A bit out of topic, but is using multiplication sign efficient?
    bobrics, Mar 7, 2005