    formatter for a web service?

    Any help would be appreciated,
    Alan
    A.M-SG, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Hi Alan,

    Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
    As for Xml Webservice, it is a distributed component technology which reply
    on transporting data through XML text format over network. So this nature
    has determined that we could not serialize webservice Message as binary
    format like other distribute components( DCOM, remoting..). Also, the Soap
    Binary formatter is provided for some other .net specific distribute
    component like .net remoting.... As far as I know, for transfering
    binary data, currently the .NET WebService Enchancement 3 (targeting .NET
    framework 2.0) has provided some support (MTOM) for embeded binary data in
    SOAP message which is serialized as binary format(not the normal base64
    format....) , this can help reduce the overload of tranmiting binary data
    over WEBService....

    #Sending Large Amounts of Data in a SOAP Message Using WSE
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wse3.0/html/ed1f6dd7-313f-4247-b7ea-
    f9ff80346fa7.asp?frame=true

    Thanks,

    Steven Cheng