System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException in WebDev.WebServer.ex

Thomas Tutko

An ASP.NET web project has recently began crashing WebDev.WebServer.exe with
a System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException. The EventLog for the crash
looks like this:

Application ID: WebDev.WebServer.EXE

Process ID: 1552

Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException

Message: External component has thrown an exception.

StackTrace: at
Microsoft.VisualStudio.WebHost.Host.ProcessRequest(Connection conn)
at Microsoft.VisualStudio.WebHost.Server.OnSocketAccept(Object
acceptedSocket)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object
state)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext
executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at
System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object
state)

This occurs if I launch the site from VS2005 or VS2008. It works fine on
other machines and when hosted in IIS but this is driving me crazy trying to
figure out why it won't run in the Development web host that is part of VS on
my machine. This site used to work in the current problem environment and I
do not recall any major changes. The box is a Vista SP1 box running both VS
2005 Team Suite and VS 2008 Team Suite. I have messed around with the windows
debugging tools and using adplus have created crash dumps but I haven't been
able to gather anything from them as I am a complete beginner when it comes
to analyzing crash dumps. Is anyone willing to look at the crash dumps or
have any suggestions? Please note that when I create a new web project and
launch that, it works fine.

Thanks for any help, this has been driving me crazy for the past 2 days
staring at crash dumps and trying to figure this out.