Discussion in 'HTML' started by mcnewsxp, Jun 18, 2012.

  1. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    mcnewsxp, Jun 18, 2012

  2. mcnewsxp

    Neil Gould Guest

    Neil Gould, Jun 18, 2012

  3. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 5:16:39 PM UTC-4, Neil Gould wrote:
    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    > > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    > >
    > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > >
    > > how come?
    > >
    > > tia,
    > > mcnewsxp
    > >

    > All I see is your logon screen.
    >
    > --
    > best regards,
    >
    > Neil

    test test
    mcnewsxp, Jun 18, 2012
  4. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    <> wrote:

    >the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >
    >http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >
    >how come?

    In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    code has but one <table> tag.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Jun 18, 2012
  5. mcnewsxp

    Tim Streater Guest

    What the **** are you talking about?

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Jun 18, 2012
  6. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:

    > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >
    > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >
    > how come?

    The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

    1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
    preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
    unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

    2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

    3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
    inside the head element.

    I didn't go further than that - fix your markup before you start trying
    to solve rendering issues.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jun 18, 2012
  7. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 6:14:06 PM UTC-4, Denis McMahon wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > > the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    > >
    > > http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > >
    > > how come?

    > The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:
    >
    > 1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
    > preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
    > unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.
    >
    > 2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.
    >
    > 3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
    > inside the head element.
    >
    > I didn't go further than that - fix your markup before you start trying
    > to solve rendering issues.
    >
    > Rgds
    >
    > Denis McMahon

    i moved the style inside the head. first line is blank due to dotnet code behind claiming first line.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  8. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 5:37:21 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    > >
    > >http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > >
    > >how come?

    > In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    > code has but one <table> tag.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Gene Wirchenko

    scroll on down past the code behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  9. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  10. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 5:37:21 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    > >
    > >http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    > >
    > >how come?

    > In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    > code has but one <table> tag.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Gene Wirchenko

    search for <td class="tdBod" and you'll find it.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  11. mcnewsxp wrote:

    > Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >> mcnewsxp wrote:
    >> >the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >> >
    >> >http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >> >
    >> >how come?

    >> In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    >> code has but one <table> tag.

    > search for <td class="tdBod" and you'll find it.

    I searched your page above for <td class="tdBod" and it does not exist.

    I also searched for <table and there is only one of them. Perhaps we
    citizens are not seeing the same page you are seeing.

    In one of your other responses, you said "scroll on down past the code
    behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one." We see HTML code.
    There is no apparent script generating a second table. Your JavaScript
    does not contain the string class="tdBod" either.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2012
  12. On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:05:50 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    <> wrote:

    >On Monday, June 18, 2012 5:37:21 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >> >
    >> >http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >> >
    >> >how come?

    >> In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    >> code has but one <table> tag.

    >scroll on down past the code behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one.

    I have. The second table is NOT there with either browser. I
    have just tried again.

    Consider this possibility:

    You saved the the two-table version of the file to the wrong
    location. You are using that same wrong name in IE, but the correct
    name in Firefox. When we use the URL, we get the correct location
    (which has an old version with but one table).

    There is a complication in that we are not logged in so it may be
    that you are seeing the correct page whereas we, not having the
    credentials, can not. I get redirected to a login page.

    Take a look at exactly what page your IE is accessing and compare
    that with what Firefox is accessing. Be sure to look at it carefully.
    It might be just a character different.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Jun 19, 2012
  13. 2012-06-19 1:14, Denis McMahon wrote:

    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    >> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >>
    >> http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >>
    >> how come?

    > The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

    Not quite. It passes HTML validation, which does not guarantee anything,
    but it's at least formally correct to the extent that an XML validator
    can check. The W3C Markup Validator issues the warning "No Character
    encoding declared at document level"; the warning is a useful hint, but
    not relevant here, as we are looking at the page as transmitted via HTTP
    with headers that specify the encoding.

    The real problem appears to be that in the browsing situation of the OP,
    the page content is something completely different from what we see.

    But regarding the issues you raise:

    > 1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
    > preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
    > unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

    It does not give any error message or warning about this issue. The XML
    specification says that a document SHOULD begin with an XML declaration.
    So it is SHOULD, not SHALL, i.e. not a matter of conformance. Besides,
    it is common on web pages to omit the declaration, because it puts some
    old versions of IE to Quirks Mode.

    > 2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

    I don't see a link element anywhere on the page. Perhaps we, too, are
    looking at different versions? Or do you mean that the style element
    should be replaced by a link referring to an external style sheet? That
    would be a matter of personal preference.

    > 3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
    > inside the head element.

    As you can see e.g. by using Unicorn, which you mentioned, that is not
    true. And in this case, the code would fail if moved to the head
    element. (It is of course *possible* to modify the script so that it can
    placed there. But this is not relevant at all here.)

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 19, 2012
  14. On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:04:47 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > 2012-06-19 1:14, Denis McMahon wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:15:35 -0700, mcnewsxp wrote:
    >>
    >>> the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:
    >>>
    >>> http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx
    >>>
    >>> how come?

    >> The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

    > Not quite. It passes HTML validation, which does not guarantee anything,
    > but it's at least formally correct to the extent that an XML validator
    > can check. The W3C Markup Validator issues the warning "No Character
    > encoding declared at document level"; the warning is a useful hint, but
    > not relevant here, as we are looking at the page as transmitted via HTTP
    > with headers that specify the encoding.
    >
    > The real problem appears to be that in the browsing situation of the OP,
    > the page content is something completely different from what we see.
    >
    > But regarding the issues you raise:
    >
    >> 1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
    >> preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
    >> unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

    > It does not give any error message or warning about this issue. The XML
    > specification says that a document SHOULD begin with an XML declaration.
    > So it is SHOULD, not SHALL, i.e. not a matter of conformance. Besides,
    > it is common on web pages to omit the declaration, because it puts some
    > old versions of IE to Quirks Mode.

    I was seeing the position of the <?xml ....> flagged in the validator. I
    may have misunderstood the message. Perhaps the issue was that it should
    have been after the doctype?

    >> 2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

    > I don't see a link element anywhere on the page. Perhaps we, too, are
    > looking at different versions? Or do you mean that the style element
    > should be replaced by a link referring to an external style sheet? That
    > would be a matter of personal preference.

    There was a link to a stylesheet which the validator was rejecting when I
    viewed it. I note that the Op seems to have responded to my comments a
    few hours before you, perhaps he changed things?

    >> 3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
    >> inside the head element.

    > As you can see e.g. by using Unicorn, which you mentioned, that is not
    > true. And in this case, the code would fail if moved to the head
    > element. (It is of course *possible* to modify the script so that it can
    > placed there. But this is not relevant at all here.)

    And yet as far as I can tell from the dtd, script should be contained
    inside the head for xhtml 1.0?

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Jun 19, 2012
  15. 2012-06-19 10:17, Denis McMahon wrote:

    > And yet as far as I can tell from the dtd, script should be contained
    > inside the head for xhtml 1.0?

    There is no change from HTML 4.01 in XHTML 1.0 in this respect. If you
    check the content model for "body", you will find "%Flow" there; and
    "%Flow" is defined by
    <!ENTITY % Flow "(#PCDATA | %block; | form | %inline; | %misc;)*">
    and we have
    <!ENTITY % misc "noscript | %misc.inline;">
    and finally
    <!ENTITY % misc.inline "ins | del | script">

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 19, 2012
  16. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 8:10:37 PM UTC-4, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > > Gene Wirchenko wrote:

    > >> In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    > >> code has but one <table> tag.

    > > search for <td class="tdBod" and you'll find it.

    > I searched your page above for <td class="tdBod" and it does not exist.
    >
    > I also searched for <table and there is only one of them. Perhaps we
    > citizens are not seeing the same page you are seeing.
    >
    > In one of your other responses, you said "scroll on down past the code
    > behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one." We see HTML code.
    > There is no apparent script generating a second table. Your JavaScript
    > does not contain the string class="tdBod" either.
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -This space for rent, but the price is high

    you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  17. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Monday, June 18, 2012 9:41:00 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 16:05:50 -0700 (PDT), mcnewsxp
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Monday, June 18, 2012 5:37:21 PM UTC-4, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

    > >> In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
    > >> code has but one <table> tag.

    > >scroll on down past the code behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one.

    > I have. The second table is NOT there with either browser. I
    > have just tried again.
    >
    > Consider this possibility:
    >
    > You saved the the two-table version of the file to the wrong
    > location. You are using that same wrong name in IE, but the correct
    > name in Firefox. When we use the URL, we get the correct location
    > (which has an old version with but one table).
    >
    > There is a complication in that we are not logged in so it may be
    > that you are seeing the correct page whereas we, not having the
    > credentials, can not. I get redirected to a login page.
    >
    > Take a look at exactly what page your IE is accessing and compare
    > that with what Firefox is accessing. Be sure to look at it carefully.
    > It might be just a character different.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Gene Wirchenko

    logon w test test
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  18. mcnewsxp wrote:

    > you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.

    Nice of you to remember that, here on day two.

    Try removing the extraneous semicolons at the end of your "tdBod" tags.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2012
  19. mcnewsxp

    mcnewsxp Guest

    On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:23:26 AM UTC-4, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > mcnewsxp wrote:
    >
    > > you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.

    > Nice of you to remember that, here on day two.
    >
    > Try removing the extraneous semicolons at the end of your "tdBod" tags.
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -This space for rent, but the price is high

    i posted the UID and PW yesterday right after the first commenter said he got the logon page.
    removing ; did nothing to help.
    mcnewsxp, Jun 19, 2012
  20. mcnewsxp wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> mcnewsxp wrote:
    >> > you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.

    >> Nice of you to remember that, here on day two.
    >>
    >> Try removing the extraneous semicolons at the end of your "tdBod" tags.

    > i posted the UID and PW yesterday right after the first commenter said
    > he got the logon page. removing ; did nothing to help.

    You wrote nothing more than: "test test" How would anyone know that was
    a username and a password as you did not describe what the words meant? It
    looked to me as if you were testing Google Groups posting...

    Please snip signatures when you reply.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jun 19, 2012