Tags around (shudder) Flash object to check player version?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Marty Kent, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Marty Kent

    Marty Kent Guest

    I'm working with some people who have a site that uses Flash very
    substantially. It's pathetic, but I've been unable to convince them
    to just redo the whole thing yet, so I'm trying to at least make it
    "work" for people who have Flash players.

    The problem (i.e. the one I'm requesting advice about here) is that
    the thing is in Flash 6, and it doesn't work for people with earlier
    versions of the Flash player. There's a piece of HTML which I believe
    is supposed to check the version of the browser's installed Flash
    player, and, if this version is older than 6, put up an alert and
    maybe offer a button to take the user to a site where they can
    download the current version of the player. But this isn't working.

    The code I think is supposed to do all this is:

    <OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
    CODEBASE="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflas
    h.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="600" HEIGHT="450" ID="splashtest"
    ALIGN="">
    <PARAM NAME="movie" VALUE="splashtest.swf">
    <PARAM NAME="loop" VALUE="false">
    <PARAM NAME="quality" VALUE="autohigh">
    <PARAM NAME="scale" VALUE="noborder">
    <PARAM NAME="bgcolor" VALUE="#FFFFFF">
    <EMBED SRC="splashtest.swf" LOOP="false" QUALITY="autohigh"
    SCALE="noborder" BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" WIDTH="600" HEIGHT="450"
    NAME="splashtest" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"
    PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </EMBED>
    </OBJECT>

    If there's anyone here who knows about these things, can you please
    give me a clue about this? Is this code actually supposed to do what
    I think, and there's some typo or other error in it? (I notice as I
    paste it into this message window, the URL underlining in the CODEBASE
    attribute stops after the 6 and doesn't include the commas and 0s...)

    Or am I way off base in thinking this is supposed to do a version check?

    I'm too embarrassed for my friends to publish the URL of the site
    that uses this code.

    Thanks much for any help.

    Marty Kent, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Marty Kent

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <250620031152327508%>,
    says...
    > I'm working with some people who have a site that uses Flash very
    > substantially. It's pathetic, but I've been unable to convince them
    > to just redo the whole thing yet, so I'm trying to at least make it
    > "work" for people who have Flash players.

    If you had the slightest clue about flash you would know the answer, and
    since you hate it so much, it is probably better that I don't tell you
    the answer. Look at it this way, this gives you more ammo to convince
    your friends to change their evil ways....

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jun 25, 2003