Template editor.

Hi there,

I would like to create a template-editor application where the template
designer (a user)
should be able to define the page size, layout, editable text areas and
graphic
boxes, and also be able to insert a background. The template should
also be able to have fixed areas (text or graphics) as part of the layout.

The content designer (a user) then loads the template in a content-editor
application and fills in the content in the areas that are editable. Once
the
details are in placed, the completed page can be formatted to PDF (via
XSL-FO?)
or to HTML, etc.

What sort of technologies would I be looking at? Do I have to code the
front-ends (template-editor and content-editor) from scratch or are there
existing tools available?

Hope you could assist. Thanks!

Regards,
- A

David Segall

A said:
[...]

iReport is a WYSIWYG front end for Jasper Reports which is a Report
Generator for Java programs. iReport writes an XML file (the template)
which defines the report. If you are writing an open source
application it would make a very good starting point. If not, studying
the code would provide a salutary warning of the amount of work you
face!

David Segall

Woops! I omitted the URL http://sourceforge.net/projects/ireport/.