Temporary ASP.Net files Access Denied

Chris Newby

After googling this I got lots of information and tried a few different
things. However pages for a particular site are still consistantly failing
with "Access Denied to C:\ ... \Temporary Asp.Net ... bla bla bla".

Specifically, I created an Asp.Net application on a new 2003 server. It
worked at first and while I was fiddling with something else it stopped
working. Not able to figure out what the problem was, I deleted the app and
reinstalled it. However I still got the temporary file error.

Thinking that something was being cached, I uninstalled my app again and
then went to the ASP.Net temporary folder and deleted the folder created
originally for my app. Then I reinstalled my app again, also restarting IIS
between each step.

So I uninstalled my app ... again ... restarted IIS, and ensured that there
in fact *was no* temporary folder for my app. At this point I searched the
registry and then metabase.xml for references to my app ... and didn't find
any. I did find references, as expected, in the metabase history folder. So,
to be on the safe side, I moved these files completely off the server,
restarted IIS, re-installed my app and ... still got the error ... at this
point I recycled the actual hardware, re-applied the previous steps and ...
still got the error.

Note that I'm getting an error that says access denied to a path that does
not appear to exist. What I'm really not getting is why IIS keeps going back
to the same temp directory ... even after having been restarted a million
times, and even after I ensured that no reference to directory existed.

Where is IIS getting this path? Did I currupt something when I deleted the
original temp folder?

TIA//

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the temp dir is where asp.net compiles your site. check that the asp.net
account has permission to create folders under the temp. a common problem on
a new server is you run your site with impersonation, then connect as admin
account, which gives permission to create the folder once, but normal users
will not have access.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

shital

Another reason could be that the processModel in machine.config is set
so that ASP.Net is running inside dllhost.exe instead of aspnet_wp.exe.
If this is the case then you would need to give rights to
IWAM_machineName account as well.

You can check the name of the process and account under with access
denied error occurs by using FileMon utility from sysinternals.com.