Testing on different Netscape versions

zorro

Hello,

If I have to test my code on different Netscape versions, can I
download and run those versions on the same computer or will it create
conflicts? And if I had to test only one version which one should it
be - which one has the most common elements to all the versions?

Richard Cornford

zorro said:
If I have to test my code on different Netscape versions,
can I download and run those versions on the same computer
or will it create conflicts? And if I had to test only one
version which one should it be - which one has the most
common elements to all the versions?

If you install all of the Netscape versions in different locations (they
will want to install themselves in the same place if you let them) and
create a new, and distinct, user profile for each, you should not have
any significant problems running as many versions as you can get your
hands on (and indeed other Gecko variations). The computer I am sitting
at now has 6 Netscape versions installed and 14 other Gecko browsers,
they all get on fine together.

A useful tip (that works on windows at lest) for Gecko browsers is to
modify the "Target" property of the desktop icons (right-click icon ->
properties) so that it automatically loads the right user profile when
each version starts up:-

E:\Netscape7_02\Netscp.exe -quiet -p RichardN7_02

The "-p" followed by the user profile name ("RichardN7_02" in this case)
does that (the "-quiet" suppresses the splash screen).

Richard.

Richard Cornford

zorro said:
Thanks mate. By the way, is it the same for
Internet Explorer?

No, IE is heavily integrated with the Windows OS and does not normally
get on well with other versions of itself.

Having said that, there is a technique for running multiple IE versions
on the same computer but it takes a bit of setting up and is not 100%
effective (apparently things like IE's conditional comments don't behave
differently for different versions in that set up). Google should be
able to turn up references on how to set that up if you want to. I
already use multiple computers and multiple bootable partitions to test
different IE versions so I have never looked at the details.

Richard.