Testing on mac

dorayme

SAZ said:
I originally had an 7 or 8 yr old Mac with OS9 that I got from a client
for free, but Safari is far OSX only. All I could get was Netscape and
IE for Mac, probably the crappiest browsers ever built.

I think that not long after 9/11, the first iMac G4 came out, those
horrid lamp shade models. But before those even, nudging into the tail
of the last century, there were the rather nice looking CRT G3 ones that
would run X, all you need for running the modern browsers really.

(Just btw, there was a good browser for OS 9 at the last stages, a
Mozilla one that had been worked to be much better than all the others.
But all this is probably not useful to present testing).

I am sure what you paid was not too bad, I was not suggesting seriously
otherwise... And things are changing in the Mac world, the latest 'Snow
Leopard' Mac OS will not run on the PowerPC chip. We Powermac folks have
been thrown to the wolves. <g>

Kamron Bennett

The said:
[ ... ]

I have downloaded safari for windows and my web site looks OK.
However, I suspect there are quite a few differences using a Mac. I
agree that buying an old Mac is probably the best idea.

Not too old, however. It needs to be able to run OS 10. (On the other
hand a machine old enough to run OS 9 (or Classic in pre-Intel versions
of OS 10) has the advantage that you'll see what users who haven't
updated their machines are seeing.)

athel
The Windows version of safari should be good enough to test with - it
ought to produce the same results as those produced on a Mac.

I remember though once designing sit in XHTML 1.1 and CSS level 3 and
got incorrect rendering with Safari for both the Mac and the PC whilst
Firefox 3 and IE 6 rendered it perfectly. I guess that was a bug that
was fixed.

Jan C. Faerber

I remember though once designing sit in XHTML 1.1 and CSS level 3 and
got incorrect rendering with Safari for both the Mac and the PC whilst
Firefox 3 and IE 6 rendered it perfectly. I guess that was a bug that
was fixed.

At McDonald's here in Vienna you get also a special Fick Mac menu!
[something like ****'n'fish]