The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Hi All

    I am trying to connect from ASP.Net app to an Access Db.
    If i don't specify a userid an pwd.. I get this error

    The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'C:\Documents and
    Settings\rogersn\My Documents\EEECourses.mdb'. It is already opened
    exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."

    If i specify a userid (aspnet) no password I get

    Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or
    opened exclusively by another user

    If I specify any other mdb on my machine...
    NO Problem...???

    I have subsequently used the mdw file, joined it , created an aspnet user,
    all permissions under admins group for the whole bang shoot and still no joy.
    ??

    Then used the permissions wizard and now all my db's pop up a login dialog,
    which I really don't want and finding documentation on this especially
    removing that is like expecting a miracle..

    ie
    Q1 How do Iresolve these errors on one mdb only (Access 2000, on Xp sp2
    OS)and connect to the db
    Q2 How do I get rid of the whole permissions, / login screen security.

    TIA
    Neal

    --
    Neal Rogers
    University of Cape Town
    =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=, Sep 2, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=

    Coldman Guest

    maybe the user used by asp.net dont have access to the folder 'C:\Documents
    and
    Settings\rogersn\My Documents\
    try moving the mdb to another location

    Coldman, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Neal, what does your connection string look like ?

    If you're using an mdw file, it should look like :

    "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=\somepath\mydb.mdb;Jet OLEDB:System
    Database=system.mdw;"

    Bookmark this page : http://www.connectionstrings.com/
    and check the connection string variations for Access MDB's.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    =============================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 2, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TmVhbA==?=

    Paul Clement Guest

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 04:45:02 -0700, "Neal" <> wrote:

    ¤ Hi All
    ¤
    ¤ I am trying to connect from ASP.Net app to an Access Db.
    ¤ If i don't specify a userid an pwd.. I get this error
    ¤
    ¤ The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file 'C:\Documents and
    ¤ Settings\rogersn\My Documents\EEECourses.mdb'. It is already opened
    ¤ exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data."
    ¤

    This is a resource permissions problem. It has nothing to do with user-level security. See the
    following:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316675

    ¤ If i specify a userid (aspnet) no password I get
    ¤
    ¤ Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or
    ¤ opened exclusively by another user
    ¤
    ¤ If I specify any other mdb on my machine...
    ¤ NO Problem...???
    ¤
    ¤
    ¤ I have subsequently used the mdw file, joined it , created an aspnet user,
    ¤ all permissions under admins group for the whole bang shoot and still no joy.
    ¤ ??
    ¤
    ¤ Then used the permissions wizard and now all my db's pop up a login dialog,
    ¤ which I really don't want and finding documentation on this especially
    ¤ removing that is like expecting a miracle..

    Did you actually configure this database for user-level security? If so see the following to remove
    it:

    Remove user-level security (MDB)
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP051882401033.aspx

    Paul