The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Robert Walter, Aug 14, 2003.

  1. I know this has been done many times before but I think I have a more
    unique case.

    I am using an XML-RPC wrapper (http://www.xml-rpc.net/) to call a
    webservice which I connect to using SSL and client certificates. I
    have a library containing the calling code that is referenced in a
    Windows Service and this service should wakeup when required and call
    the XML-RPC service.

    I get the 'The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error
    occurred on a send' when calling it from the service. But when I call
    it from a windows application it works fine.

    Now I have looked round to see why this could be happening and people
    have suggested changing the KeepAlive property of the Web Request to
    false. I have done this but no change in what happens.

    Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening and how I could
    go about fixing it?

    Thanks in advance,

    Rob.
    Robert Walter, Aug 14, 2003

  2. > I know this has been done many times before but I think I have a more
    > unique case.
    >
    > I am using an XML-RPC wrapper (http://www.xml-rpc.net/) to call a
    > webservice which I connect to using SSL and client certificates. I
    > have a library containing the calling code that is referenced in a
    > Windows Service and this service should wakeup when required and call
    > the XML-RPC service.
    >
    > I get the 'The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error
    > occurred on a send' when calling it from the service. But when I call
    > it from a windows application it works fine.
    >
    > Now I have looked round to see why this could be happening and people
    > have suggested changing the KeepAlive property of the Web Request to
    > false. I have done this but no change in what happens.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening and how I could
    > go about fixing it?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Rob.

    I find that if I make a local request without SSL and Client
    Certificates it works fine.

    I have set the proxy value of the web request object to
    GlobalProxySelection.GetEmptyWebProxy() so it shouldn't be using a
    proxy server.

    I get the error on every request I make, not randomly like some people
    appear to get.

    Thankfully I have worked out a way round it if required involving
    wrapping the request in a webservice and calling that webservice from
    my Windows Service but that way isn't nice so if anyone has any ideas
    they'd be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rob.
    Robert Walter, Aug 19, 2003