The WHEN and WHY of Java technologies

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jacob, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Jacob

    Jacob Guest

    As a contractor I am trying to get an overview
    of the present software technologies so that I
    can give qualified advices in these respects.

    I look into general topics like "web services",
    "client server technologies", "distributed
    computing", "application servers", "software
    patterns", "security" etc. as well as more
    specific ones like "J2EE", ".NET", "XML", "JSP",
    "JMS", "RMI", "Tomcat", "JDBC", "Struts",
    "Castor", "Soap", "Ant", "EJB", "Swing",
    "xDoclet", "HTTP" etc.

    I can certainly understand WHAT and HOW of all
    these, but I do have a hard time understanding
    WHY and WHEN.

    What I'd really like to see is a simple "rule of
    thumb" listing of technologies and tools; when
    to use, when not to use, and what technology/
    tool is equivalent/replace what other.

    Is there something like this anywhere? Or maybe
    a joint effort could put things in place?
    (Or is it just me...)

    Thanks!

    Jacob, Jul 1, 2003