Thread was being aborted error message

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alex A., Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Alex A.

    Alex A. Guest

    I have this web application that runs for about 5 minutes doing to
    database processing, about 50% of the time I get the error message
    Thread was being aborted.

    I am looking for hint at where to look, I've been banging my head on
    this issue for a couple of months (when I have time to bang my head on
    this).

    Here's some information on my app:

    ..Net 1.1
    I am not using either response.redirect or server.transfer
    I'm not threading anything (single synchronous thread)
    My ASP.Net UI calles a .Net class for the processing
    Tested on 3 different dedicated IIS servers with same results

    Works fine if I install it on a desktop (any desktop) running IIS
    Works irratically when I install it on a server running either Windows
    Server 2000 or Windows Server 2003

    What should I be looking at?

    Alex A., Aug 3, 2006

  2. Alex,
    Are you saying that a particular ASP.NET web page kicks off some process
    that runs for 5 minutes? The default ASP.NET Script timeout is 90 seconds.
    You can change this, and you can also change the httpRuntime executionTimeout
    value to a larger number by bringing this element into your web.config to
    override the setting in machine.config.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Alex A.

    Alex A. Guest

    Peter,

    The script timeout was set to 900 seconds (15 minutes), I had
    encountered this issue on another project.

    The issue is sporadic, it'll either work or not and when it doesn't it
    a thread abort message.

    Nothing fancy is being done, it's mainly reading about 300 invoices
    from a database converting the data into a format and saving it to a
    file on a server.

    Alex A., Aug 3, 2006
  4. Besides the script timeout, etc. You also have both a connection timeout and
    a command timeout (that's with SQLClient). Very often developers forget about
    the commandTimeout property.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 3, 2006
  5. Alex A.

    Alex A. Guest

    The SQL timeout is set to 5 minutes, but reading the actual database
    only takes a second or two.

    I think I've made sure every possible timeout is set to a high number,
    not that I'm aware of every possible place a timeout might occur but I
    think I've covered the basic ones that you've mentionned.

    Also what I've tried to do is try and pin point where the error is
    occuring.
    I've set up a big try catch using the ThreadException but it never hits
    my
    ThreadException, I've put the ThreadException where my call to the
    external Class Library is made so if the ThreadException occurs in
    there it should catch it but it never does.

    I am completly baffled.

    Alex A., Aug 3, 2006
  6. Alex,
    Hook the Application_Error event in Global.asax and use:

    Exception ex=Server.GetLastError.GetBaseException()
    // log or report the exception here

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 3, 2006