To frame or not to frame?

donut

I just found this newsgroup. It's been awhile since I designed a webpage. I
started in 1997, learned HTML, and built several personal websites using
Notepad.

I just want to say that my pet peeve regarding HTML is frames. I can't
believe how many sites I still run into using this creaky old dinosaur from
the Netscape 2.0 days.

Frames and sidebars take up valuable reading space on my monitor. I can't
think of a single reason to have them these days. When I'm reading a web
page, I don't need a frame or sidebar of links constantly present.

Links belong at the top and/or bottom of pages. I can't think of a single
modern web browser that doesn't support Ctrl>Home and Ctrl>End to instantly
go to the top and bottom of web pages.

I detest frames, and the best way to get me to click on "Home" is to find
them on a site. I put frames in the same category as "blink."

Look at the professionally designed websites, and see if you see any frames
on them.

I know I'm opinionated on the subject, but I was just wondering how the
rest of you feel about this.

Nico Schuyt

donut said:
I detest frames, and the best way to get me to click on "Home" is to
find them on a site. I put frames in the same category as "blink."
I know I'm opinionated on the subject, but I was just wondering how
the rest of you feel about this.

I * love* frames:
- Faster than a SSI or PHP include; Smooth performing
- Menu always visible
- Best solution for a photo album (thumbnails left; enlarged pictures in the
right frame)
A pity frames are so poorly supported by browsers. Problems like orphan
pages and the impossibility to bookmark specific pages should be solved in
the browsers.
Regards, Nico

Nico Schuyt

How?
The problem is with the technology, you can't prevent orphan pages at
the client level.

All it needs is a snippet of code in the page pointing to the frameset. I'm
sure a browser could be made that shows the page in the correct frameset.
Regards, Nico

Nico Schuyt

donut said:
Nico Schuyt wrote
Using Mozilla, Netscape and Firebird, tabbed browsing makes this
obsolete.

Not practical.
Never met someone in real life using Mozilla or Firebird and certainly no
one who has ever heard about "tabbed browsing" :)
Cheers, Nico

Alan D-W

Nico Schuyt said:
Not practical.
Never met someone in real life using Mozilla or Firebird and certainly no
one who has ever heard about "tabbed browsing" :)
Cheers, Nico

Is it the 1st of April? My, how time flies, it still feels like August.
Alan