Tomcat 5* and javaw.exe

Roy Epperson

I've been doing some google and java.sun.com search and have not found a
good discussion. I'm using Windows XP with jre1.5.0_05 and Tomcat 5*.
Both the jre and Tomccat uses port 8005. The problem is there is a port
conflict and Tomcat shuts down as the jre is already running.

Where can I find a good discussion on 1) how the jre uses port 8005 and
2) the best way to resolved this conflict. I know I can redefine the
server.xml to move the ports. But why is there a built in conflict
between Java and Tomcat?

I did not have this problem with Tomcat 4 and jre1.4.

Thanks in advance,
Roy