Tomcat Admin password forgotten

D E

Murray said:
Check tomcat-users.xml in the conf directory
Ok i used the name/password found there with role "tomcat" (default name/pw
= tomcat/tomcat) and it didn't work. now when i go to the url
http:localhost:8080/admin, i get a httpstatus 403 (access to specified
resource has been forbidden)....

How do i "reset" this...

Was that the correct role? If this helps, here is a copy of my
tomcat-users.xml file..

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="role1"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
<user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
<user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
</tomcat-users>

Murray

Was that the correct role? If this helps, here is a copy of my
tomcat-users.xml file..

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<tomcat-users>
<role rolename="tomcat"/>
<role rolename="role1"/>
<user username="tomcat" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat"/>
<user username="role1" password="tomcat" roles="role1"/>
<user username="both" password="tomcat" roles="tomcat,role1"/>
</tomcat-users>

Add this:

<role name="admin"/>
<user name="admin" password="whatever" roles="admin"/>

Ryan Stewart

Murray said:
Add this:

<role name="admin"/>
<user name="admin" password="whatever" roles="admin"/>
I believe to access the manager, you need the "manager" role, and it's
"rolename" and "username", not just "name", so for a user that can access
both the admin and manager tools:
<role rolename="manager" />
<role rolename="admin" />
<user username="yourUserName" password="yourPassword"
roles="admin,manager" />

I'm not sure what the "tomcat" role is, but I don't think it's related to
either the admin or manager tool.

Web Surfer

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.java.programmer]

When using my web application manager
(http://localhost:8080/admin)
I forgot my password. Is there an XML file i can look at to remember/obtain
(possibly even set).
Thanks

Check the "conf/tomcat-users.xml" file under your Tomcat distribution.