Tomcat as Windows service

Drazen Gemic

Has anyone live experience with Jakarta Tomcat as Windows service ?

There are some files in Tomcat distribution that seem to be there for
that purpose.

Is it reliable (important) ?

Can it be managed with 'administrative tools' thing
that starts and stops services ?

Should I use Tomcat as a plugin for IIS instead (I hope not) ?

I think that customers platform is going to be Server 2003 or Server 2000.

I am UNIX person, using Windows mainly to deal with threats to national
security in FPS games.

DG

David Segall

Drazen Gemic said:
Has anyone live experience with Jakarta Tomcat as Windows service ?

There are some files in Tomcat distribution that seem to be there for
that purpose.

Is it reliable (important) ?

Can it be managed with 'administrative tools' thing
that starts and stops services ?

Should I use Tomcat as a plugin for IIS instead (I hope not) ?

I think that customers platform is going to be Server 2003 or Server 2000.

I am UNIX person, using Windows mainly to deal with threats to national
security in FPS games.
Tomcat works "out of the box" as a Windows service. Just follow the
install time prompts changing the port from 8080 to 80 and you will
have an HTTP/JSP server that is automatically (or manually) started
and stopped as a Windows service. I can't really answer your
"reliable" question because I don't stress it but it has never failed
for me.

Drazen Gemic

David said:
Tomcat works "out of the box" as a Windows service. Just follow the
install time prompts changing the port from 8080 to 80 and you will
have an HTTP/JSP server that is automatically (or manually) started
and stopped as a Windows service. I can't really answer your
"reliable" question because I don't stress it but it has never failed
for me.

Thanks, that is reliable enough.

DG