    to cure this.

    Thanks
    Ian
    ian ward, Jun 23, 2005

  2. ian ward

    Seamus Guest

    Catnip!

    Tru borland.public.appserver.servlet-jsp-tomcat for tomcat troubles.
    Seamus, Jun 23, 2005

  3. ian ward

    ian ward Guest

    thanks -is that a url you've given me? (and what's a catnip!?)

    Actually, I'm trying it 'the long way round', or at least, the other
    way round, and I've put my full directory tree of classes in
    WEB-INF\classes instead. Now I get a good old NoClassDefFoundError!
    I know that the class in question is there where it should be
    I know that, where I copied the whole directory structure from (an
    eclipse workspace) it works
    I know that if I try to access it from the console in its new location
    (with WEB-INF\classes on the classpath) it works

    But, when I try to access it via Tomcat from a jsp page I get the
    error. I know that this error has a hundred possible causes but maybe
    someone can suggest a shorter list with the clues offered.

    One last clue - this class is a JNI class which I've compiled
    separately and I wonder if that has anything to do with it - in any
    case, I'm not surprised that this is the one giving me the headache!

    Thanks
    Ian
    ian ward, Jun 23, 2005
  4. On 23 Jun 2005 10:02:41 -0700, ian ward wrote:

    (... borland.public.appserver.servlet-jsp-tomcat )

    > thanks -is that a url you've given me?

    No - it is another Usenet newsgroup.
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/borland.public.appserver.servlet-jsp-tomcat>
    ...like this one..
    <http://groups.google.com.au/group/comp.lang.java.programmer>
    ...but more specific to your problem.

    >..(and what's a catnip!?)

    ...perhaps a reference to "Either tomcat is mad or I am!"?
    [ From vague memory, catnip either cures madness in cats
    (shrugs) ..or causes it! ]

    HTH

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 23, 2005
  5. ian ward

    Lucy Guest

    > >..(and what's a catnip!?)

    > ..perhaps a reference to "Either tomcat is mad or I am!"?
    > [ From vague memory, catnip either cures madness in cats
    > (shrugs) ..or causes it! ]

    cat·nip
    cat·nip (kàt¹nîp´) noun
    1. A hairy, aromatic perennial herb (Nepeta cataria) in the mint family,
    native to Eurasia and containing an aromatic oil to which cats are strongly
    attracted.
    2. Any of various other mostly aromatic plants in the genus Nepeta,
    cultivated for their ornamental foliage and clusters of blue, lavender, or
    white flowers.

    [cat + nip, catnip (variant of nep, from Middle English nept, nep, from Old
    English nepte, from Latin nepeta, aromatic herb, perhaps of Etruscan
    origin).]

    Lucy, Jun 23, 2005
  6. On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:31:19 -0500, Lucy wrote:

    >>>..(and what's a catnip!?)

    >> ..perhaps a reference to "Either tomcat is mad or I am!"?
    >> [ From vague memory, catnip either cures madness in cats
    >> (shrugs) ..or causes it! ]

    > cat·nip
    > cat·nip (kàt¹nîp´) noun ...

    (snip)
    > ..perhaps of Etruscan origin).]

    Aaah, those Etruscans..

    Well - ..get all technical on me, why not?!? [ ;-) ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 23, 2005
  7. ian ward

    ian ward Guest

    Right, fascinating, but meanwhile, back 'on-subject'....thanks for the
    explanation of what Seamus indicated, however, having just posted my
    query I've noticed that it is pretty dead down there so I won't be
    holding my breath waiting for an answer. Is there any chance of being
    pointed in the right direction for my NoClassDefFoundError - and I was
    only joking about Tomcat ok? I'm just new round here, as you know.

    Thanks, hopefully
    Ian
    ian ward, Jun 23, 2005
  8. On 23 Jun 2005 13:02:45 -0700, ian ward wrote:

    > ...Is there any chance of being
    > pointed in the right direction for my NoClassDefFoundError -

    At this stage the information you have provided is
    not specific enough (especially in relation to paths)
    for me to understand what is happening. But then - I
    am no web app. or JNI expert, in any case.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jun 23, 2005
  9. ian ward

    ian ward Guest

    I thought that Tomcat had its own system of classpaths etc and it was
    only a question of putting the classes, jars, libraries etc in the
    right place?
    But if you're not an expert then I'll wait for someone who is....thanks
    Ian
    ian ward, Jun 24, 2005
  10. ian ward

    ian ward Guest

    Here is some clarification for anyone who is listening...
    The NoClassDefFoundError is a red herring.
    My real problem, badly explained at the top of this thread boils down
    to this.....

    An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the
    VM.
    Unexpected Signal : EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION occurred at
    PC=0x67462713
    Function=[Unknown.]

    I did seem to manage to get the thing to work but usually this is where
    I finish up.
    Without going in to long, badly expressed, explanations I'll just say
    that I believe my problem is that my dlls, accessed from my java
    classes, can't talk to each other - passing a pointer to one as a
    method argument to another causes this crash.
    When I run something out of my app from the (windows) command line I
    get the same crash if I am not positioned in the directory holding the
    dlls - this may or may not be called the 'working directory'.
    I need to be able, when running the app from jsp pages via Tomcat, to
    ensure that I am effectively 'anchored' so that my dlls don't get lost.
    Any help greatly appreciated
    Ian
    ian ward, Jun 24, 2005
  11. ian ward

    Roma Efremov Guest

    Hi Ian,

    Is it your 1-st try to run servlet under Tomcat?
    Did you try to run it on your own computer or in Internet/Intranet?
    Also, see below...

    Vlad

    "ian ward" <> wrote in message
    > Here is some clarification for anyone who is listening...
    > The NoClassDefFoundError is a red herring.
    > My real problem, badly explained at the top of this thread boils down
    > to this.....
    >
    > An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outside the
    > VM.

    Take a look to follow string you provided: "ACCESS_VIOLATION"

    Roma Efremov, Jun 28, 2005