Trouble with numpy-0.9.4 and numpy-0.9.5

Discussion in 'Python' started by drife, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. drife

    drife Guest

    Hello,

    I use the Python Numeric package extensively, and had been an
    avid user of the "old" scipy. In my view, both pieces of software
    are truly first rate, and have greatly improved my productivity in
    the area of scientific analysis. Thus, I was excited to make the
    transition to the new scipy core (numpy).

    Unfortunately, I am experiencing a problem that I cannot sort
    out. I am running Python 2.4.2 on a Debian box (V3.1), using
    gcc version 3.3.5, and ATLAS, BLAS, and LAPACK libraries
    built from scratch. When building numpy everything seems to
    go AOK. But trouble soon follows.

    As a sanity check, I run the diagnostic tests that come as
    part of the numpy package:

    from numpy import *
    from scipy import *

    test(level=N) # N can vary from 1 to 10. :

    No matter which test I run, Python crashes hard with only
    the following output: "Floating exception".

    I thought perhaps numpy would still work Ok, even though
    it seemed to have failed this "sanity" test.

    Thus, I tried using the numpy.linalg.eig functionality, and
    upon calling numpy.linalg.eig I get the same behavior:
    Python crashes hard with the same output "Floating
    exception".

    Can someone help me sort out what might be wrong?
    Perhaps I have overlooked a crucial step in the build/
    install of numpy.

    Thanks very much,

    Daran
    drife, Mar 1, 2006

  2. drife wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I use the Python Numeric package extensively, and had been an
    > avid user of the "old" scipy. In my view, both pieces of software
    > are truly first rate, and have greatly improved my productivity in
    > the area of scientific analysis. Thus, I was excited to make the
    > transition to the new scipy core (numpy).
    >
    > Unfortunately, I am experiencing a problem that I cannot sort
    > out. I am running Python 2.4.2 on a Debian box (V3.1), using
    > gcc version 3.3.5, and ATLAS, BLAS, and LAPACK libraries
    > built from scratch. When building numpy everything seems to
    > go AOK. But trouble soon follows.
    >
    > As a sanity check, I run the diagnostic tests that come as
    > part of the numpy package:
    >
    > from numpy import *
    > from scipy import *
    >
    > test(level=N) # N can vary from 1 to 10. :
    >

    > No matter which test I run, Python crashes hard with only
    > the following output: "Floating exception".

    This could be related to the Debian glibc bug that has been discussed
    before. Aparently the Debian version of glibc had some issues with
    SSE. This is the same behavior experienced by others on the Debian
    platform. There is a patch, but I'm not sure what it is.

    See, for example:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/2207861

    Come over to the and/or

    lists for more help.