Turn off Caching

Robert Strickland

I wish to turn off browser caching through some meta tags. Note the
following:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

However, running against my local site, the browser still caches the page
and it's contents. What am I missing?

Guest

Hi Robert,

Meta tags work only on postback and that too depending on the browser. I
dont think its a good idea to depend on the Metatags for caching...
HTH,

Need any help, do post a msg back..

Happy Coding

Robert Strickland

Thanks for responding.

How do I keep the page, images, etc. from caching on the client machine. We
use .Net Asp.Net. Most pages will have the aspx. extension.

Chad

There are ways to stop images from caching, but as for as the page text
and other data, I'm not sure if there is much of a way aside from the
meta tags.

However, I'd like to see a solution if there is a way. :)

Joerg Jooss

Robert said:
I wish to turn off browser caching through some meta tags. Note the
following:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

Does this nonsense never die :-(

Use HTTP Cache-Control headers to control caching, for example:

Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache);

Cheers,