Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process.

Guest

Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The
ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a
process restart. Error: 0x80070005

----------------------------------
This started happening after we updated to .NET 2.0. Here's our current
environment:

2 x Windows Server 2003 Web Edition SP1
Network Load Balancing (NLB)
App pools all running as Network Service
Sites are anonymous and run as a local account
No Active Directory
No Application Center installs at all

Originally we used to make IIS modifications on the first server, then use
IISCFG to copy the metabase to the other server. Now we handle modifications
to the configurations programatically on each server.

We have tried all of the workarounds for using the metaacl and the IIS_WPG
but we still have the problem.

Guest

Let me also add that this is happening on other NLB clusters as well, which
have never used the IISCFG to copy the metabase.

Guest

To follow up one step further, we have a brand new 2 server NLB'ed cluster
that came from the same installed image. All of the accounts and groups are
identical. Same SIDs, same passwords. Never replicated the metabase at all.
No Application Center. Only NLB. Only one site on the cluster for testing
and the error happens there as well.

It does NOT happen on a stand-alone server we installed from the same image.

What does NLB do that would cause this issue?

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Stefan,

After searching through our internal support database, it turns out this
issue may have complicate causes. Please note contacting our Customer
Support and Service might be the best way to handle such case.

Based on my understanding, you've already run following command
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890475/):

cscript metaacl.vbs IIS://Localhost/W3SVC/Filters IIS_WPG RE

Please try this if you haven't and let me know the result.

Also, please help me on following points:

1) Does this error only occur in event log or does it throw when visiting
web page?

2) Does your website reside on a UNC share?

3) I suspect there should be more other related error logs in event log,
would you please post them here too? For example, look for event logs from
application w3wp.exe, or COM+, etc.

I'm looking forward to your findings.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Guest

Walter,

Yes I have run the metaacl script.

1) It occurs in the event log.
2) Yes, they all reside on a UNC share
3) The errors occur every few minutes. 10-50 per hour on high traffic
servers.

Here is another error that occurs a few times per day:
EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.1830, P3 42435be1, P4 mscorlib,
P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4333ab80, P7 4c2d, P8 6, P9 udta330idobh2roz2ayvlcelag5agtls,
P10 NIL.

Thanks for your help!

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Stefan,

We have some similar cases but with other symptoms which also prevents the
IIS server from working correctly. There're some other event logs recorded.

Would you please verify this for me: other than writing event logs, there's
no visible impact on the web site.

Based on my researching on several similar cases, if there're no other
error, it seems this is cosmetic error and it should not affect the working
of the IIS server and web application.

Anyway, to fully troubleshoot this issue, you will need to use one of your
MSDN subscription support incident (see my signature) to open a case.
Please contact our Customer Support and Service.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

promptly.

Guest

Walter,

It is far from cosmetic, we are getting asp.net worker process crashes
several times per day now. I will open a support ticket.