unable to start debug from non administrative account in VS.net200

Guest

hello,
I created an asp.net web app in C# from a non administrative account in
Visual Studio 2003, .net 1.1. when i try to run the application in debug mode
from Debug start menu option, i get an error saying "Error while trying to
run project : unable to start debugging on web server. Access is Denied".
i searched for the solution on various web sites (msdn too) and the only
thing i could figure out is " I Can actually Debug the asp.net web app from
visual studio .net 2003 started from a non-administrative account, ( if the
user belongs to debugger users group)". The useraccount [abcd] that i use to
develop asp.net web apps in visual studio does belong to debugger users,
however i cannot debug the apps and i recieve the error message as given
above .

I even tried to give read/write and execute permissions and execute scripts
rights to the virtual folder in iis 5.0 ,yet invain. I see the same error
popping up .

i even clicked the help button to check for possible reasons and the
solution to the error message: I 'ld not find anythign useful except for the
recomended change in machine.config file "editing the <Process model> to
username and password" . however that solution is to debug aspnet_wp.exe
(aspnet worker process) but i oly need to debug asp.net apps and not the
asp.net worker process.

Let me also tell that aspnet worker process runs under aspnet account which
i cannot debug from my [abcd] user account.

do i always need to debug the application by opening the visual studio.net
2003 IDE as administrator. ?

i dont know i this the correct place to ask this question as i am new here...

please reply ..

NAGY

Lenard Gunda

Hi,

No, you don't need to be an admin to debug. The first step - becoming a
member of Debugger Users is ok. But you also need to do other things.

Try adding yourself (the NOT admin account) to the IIS_WPG group. You have
to be a member of that group to run web applications if you are not an
administrator. And you are running them when you are debugging.

You could also add that account to the VS Developers group. That should
allow it to create web applications.

-Lenard

Guest

hello Lenard Gunda,
Thank you for the reply but i cannot find the IIS_WPG group (wonder y??)..
the Operating system i use is windows 2000 server sp4 and all updates
necessary. iis 5.0 .