Uninstalling Ruby 1.8.7 Help

Chris Brand

Hi Guys,

I have run into a bind, and need to manually uninstall Ruby 1.8.7 from
/usr/local, but I'm not sure exactly what to delete.

Im running OS X Leopard and installed Ruby there so to not overwrite my
system Ruby installation but now 1.8.7 doesn't see any installed gems or
anything and I think I may have screwed it up while I was installing it
:/

So my question is, what exactly do I remove? I know
/usr/local/bin/ruby, /usr/local/bin/irb need to go, but I'm unsure about
/usr/local/lib/ruby*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

matt neuburg

Chris Brand said:
Hi Guys,

I have run into a bind, and need to manually uninstall Ruby 1.8.7 from
/usr/local, but I'm not sure exactly what to delete.

Im running OS X Leopard and installed Ruby there so to not overwrite my
system Ruby installation but now 1.8.7 doesn't see any installed gems or
anything and I think I may have screwed it up while I was installing it
:/

So my question is, what exactly do I remove? I know
/usr/local/bin/ruby, /usr/local/bin/irb need to go, but I'm unsure about
/usr/local/lib/ruby*

Any help is greatly appreciated!

(1) You are on Leopard. You have Time Machine. Next time, just do a
snapshot before installing. Then to roll back you can just, uh, roll
back!

(2) If it is in /usr/local it is NOT part of the default ruby
installation and deleting it can do no harm thereto.

(3) Before uninstalling you might ask yourself what went wrong - or
whether, indeed, anything did go wrong. Did you do a new install of
rubygems into the right place? There's a good article here on installing
a second ruby on Leopard:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2008/02/ruby-rails-leopard

m.

Gaspard Bucher

Just a side note.

I had to reinstall all ruby and dependencies. I chose the macports
route and it went like a breeze:

# sudo port install ruby
# sudo port install rb-rubygems
# sudo gem install ...

Everything lives in /opt/local and if I want, I can just "rm -rf /opt/
local" and it's all gone.

Just add "/opt/local/bin" to the beginning of your path
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

Gaspard

Chris Brand

Thanks for the responses, I actually picked through it this morning, and
got it taken care of.

I did install ruby gems after installing 1.8.7, and subsequently
installed gems with that version; nothing was working :(

Thanks for that link about installing a second version of ruby on Leo!
I'm going to go that route because I already have 'git' and a few other
things installed to /opt/local via macports that I wouldn't want to
erase if something went wrong :).

[ Chris ]

Bernard Kenik

Chris said:
Thanks for the responses, I actually picked through it this morning, and
got it taken care of.

I did install ruby gems after installing 1.8.7, and subsequently
installed gems with that version; nothing was working :(

Thanks for that link about installing a second version of ruby on Leo!
I'm going to go that route because I already have 'git' and a few other
things installed to /opt/local via macports that I wouldn't want to
erase if something went wrong :).

[ Chris ]

The one thing you must do, is to modify your $PATH, /usr/local/bin
must appear prior to /usr/bin.
Refer to the hivelogic link mentioned by Matt Neuberg

Chris Brand

Bernard said:
Chris said:
Thanks for the responses, I actually picked through it this morning, and
got it taken care of.

I did install ruby gems after installing 1.8.7, and subsequently
installed gems with that version; nothing was working :(

Thanks for that link about installing a second version of ruby on Leo!
I'm going to go that route because I already have 'git' and a few other
things installed to /opt/local via macports that I wouldn't want to
erase if something went wrong :).

[ Chris ]

The one thing you must do, is to modify your $PATH, /usr/local/bin
must appear prior to /usr/bin.
Refer to the hivelogic link mentioned by Matt Neuberg

/usr/local/bin already appears prior to /usr/bin in my $PATH because I
have Python installed in /usr/local/bin also. :)

Thank's for the tip though.

-C