updating on ftplib from 2.1 to 2.3

John fabiani

Hi,
I have a script that is not running on a freeBSD 4.4 with Python 2.1
that uses ftplib. I'm wondering if it's possible to update only the
ftplib module from 2.1 to 2.3. I only ask because I have no idea how to
upgrade anything for freeBSD 4.4. I know there is are doc's available
but I sure don't want to screw anything up on the freeBSD 4.4 server
because I didn't understand what I was doing.
Thanks
John

Lee Harr

Hi,
I have a script that is not running on a freeBSD 4.4 with Python 2.1
that uses ftplib. I'm wondering if it's possible to update only the
ftplib module from 2.1 to 2.3. I only ask because I have no idea how to
upgrade anything for freeBSD 4.4. I know there is are doc's available
but I sure don't want to screw anything up on the freeBSD 4.4 server
because I didn't understand what I was doing.
Thanks
John

You can have multiple versions of python installed ...

# pkg_info | grep python
py23-gui-1.4 A cross-platform pythonic GUI API
python-2.1.3_5 An interpreted object-oriented programming language
python-2.2.3_4 An interpreted object-oriented programming language
python-2.3.4 An interpreted object-oriented programming language
python-doc-html-2.3.4 Documentation for the Python programming language
zodb-py23-3.2.2 The Z - Object Database for python

Did you try just downloading the python-2.3.4 package from
ftp.freebsd.org and installing it? I think that is your quickest
and easiest path.

One thing to be careful of is the link from /usr/local/bin/python
to one particular python instance. The package may overwrite the
link to python2.1 when it installs python2.3. If you want to put
it back to python2.1 you can ...

rm /usr/local/bin/python
ln /usr/local/bin/python2.1 /usr/local/bin/python