Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ben.wilder@gmail.com, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    Perl N00b here in need of a bit of kind assistance!

    I am attempting to upgrade Perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 on Fedora Core 4

    I have performed the following:

    Run: perl -V to get the version (5.8.6)
    Downloaded perl version 5.8.8 and untarred
    Run: ./Configure -des -Uusethreads
    Run: make
    Run: make test
    Run: make install

    All goes well - how do i alter my installation to now use this version
    of perl, as running perl -V returns the same version information?

    Many thanks for any help!

    Ben

    , Jul 5, 2006

  2. -berlin.de Guest

    <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Perl N00b here in need of a bit of kind assistance!
    >
    > I am attempting to upgrade Perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 on Fedora Core 4
    >
    > I have performed the following:
    >
    > Run: perl -V to get the version (5.8.6)
    > Downloaded perl version 5.8.8 and untarred
    > Run: ./Configure -des -Uusethreads
    > Run: make
    > Run: make test
    > Run: make install
    >
    > All goes well - how do i alter my installation to now use this version
    > of perl, as running perl -V returns the same version information?

    That should already have happened. Check your path. Normally (but not
    always), the new version is installed as /usr/bin/perl. What does
    "which perl" say?

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Jul 5, 2006

    Hi Anno,

    Thanks for the reply,

    the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows

    /usr/local/bin/perl

    interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
    this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
    is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
    make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

    Thanks

    Ben

    , Jul 5, 2006
  4. -berlin.de Guest

    <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Hi Anno,
    >
    > Thanks for the reply,

    What reply? I wrote seven or ten replies since yesterday -- which one
    are you referring to? Please supply attributions and some context with
    your reply.

    > the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
    >
    > /usr/local/bin/perl

    Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.

    > interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
    > this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
    > is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
    > make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

    That's a question about your system, not about Perl. Since you have told
    us little about your system I can only guess. Perhaps you have a csh-like
    shell that needs a "rehash" to honor changes in the actual environment.
    Who knows.

    Anno

    -berlin.de, Jul 5, 2006

    Anno,

    Thanks very much for you reply to my message dated Wed, Jul 5 2006
    11:40 am Re: Upgrade perl from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - help with upgrade.

    I'll investigate the issue regarding the version change of perl showing
    5.8.6 even after the upgrade, your comments are much appreciated.

    Answers much like i have come to expect from the open source community.

    -berlin.de wrote:

    > <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > > Hi Anno,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the reply,

    > What reply? I wrote seven or ten replies since yesterday -- which one
    > are you referring to? Please supply attributions and some context with
    > your reply.
    >
    > > the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
    > >
    > > /usr/local/bin/perl

    > Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.
    >
    > > interstingly enough, i have just reopened my SSH connection to perform
    > > this command, and ran perl -v just to check and it appears the version
    > > is now 5.8.8. However, this was DEFINATLEY not the case after i had run
    > > make install, any ideas what could have caused that?

    > That's a question about your system, not about Perl. Since you have told
    > us little about your system I can only guess. Perhaps you have a csh-like
    > shell that needs a "rehash" to honor changes in the actual environment.
    > Who knows.
    >
    > Anno

    , Jul 5, 2006
  6. Dr.Ruud Guest

    anno4000 schreef:
    > ben.wilder:

    >> the output to the statement "which perl" is as follows
    >>
    >> /usr/local/bin/perl

    > Okay, that's not the standard location, though it's a close runner-up.

    Big chance that /usr/bin/perl is a hardlink to /usr/local/bin/perl.

    See "which -a perl" too.

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."