Upload huge file size: "The page cannot be displayed" browser error

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jrefactors@hotmail.com, Jan 5, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.jsp
    is the form,
    and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    Websphere.

    //UploadForm.jsp
    <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.jsp" METHOD="POST"
    enctype=multipart/form-data>
    <input type="file" name="fileName">
    //etc ...
    </FORM>

    After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small
    file size, it is fine.
    But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go
    to UploadAction.jsp.
    After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on
    the web browser.
    It cannot even go to UploadAction.jsp. But both UploadForm.jsp and
    UnploadAction.jsp are
    in the same machine.

    Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
    without problem.
    I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
    please advise. thanks!!
    , Jan 5, 2005

  2. Ryan Stewart Guest

    <> wrote in message
    [...]
    > After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on
    > the web browser.

    [...]
    What browser says that? If you're using IE, then either get a real browser
    or turn off the "friendly error messages", and come back with a real error
    message. Otherwise, look at your logs and find the real error message.
    Ryan Stewart, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Yes. This is a typical Microsoft Internet Explorer message when the page
    "expires". It probably tries to redirect to somewhere. Perhaps back so you
    can send anew?

    Anyhow, this is an explorer issue. If you made the page that gives the
    error, then you should change it so that you do not have to go back in
    history but rather do a:

    document.location = "new_url.html";

    Hogne T.
    Hogne Titlestad, Jan 5, 2005
  4. JRS: In article <>
    , dated Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    posted :

    >I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.jsp
    >is the form,
    >and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    >Websphere.

    Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like the
    difference between cat and cattle. See below.

    Dr John Stockton, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Tom Dyess Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.jsp
    > is the form,
    > and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    > Websphere.
    >
    > //UploadForm.jsp
    > <FORM NAME="InputForm" ACTION="UploadAction.jsp" METHOD="POST"
    > enctype=multipart/form-data>
    > <input type="file" name="fileName">
    > //etc ...
    > </FORM>
    >
    > After I deploy the application to the web server, if I upload a small
    > file size, it is fine.
    > But if I upload a huge file size more than 10MB, then it cannot even go
    > to UploadAction.jsp.
    > After 30 seconds, it has error "The page cannot be displayed" shown on
    > the web browser.
    > It cannot even go to UploadAction.jsp. But both UploadForm.jsp and
    > UnploadAction.jsp are
    > in the same machine.
    >
    > Interestingly, if I test in local machine, I can upload any file size
    > without problem.
    > I don't have any hints now. any ideas?
    > please advise. thanks!!

    I was curious about this too (just wrote an upload multi-part handler/filter
    for HttpRequest) - anyhow, sounds annoying. I found an article on how to
    change it on the client, but getting your clients to do this doesn't sound
    realistic:

    ---
    When loading a page, IE starts a timer. If the page is not fully loaded at
    the end of the timeout, you get an error message and the page stops loading.

    The default timeout in IE 4.0 SP2, and IE 5.x is 5 minutes. To alter the
    timeout, use Regedt32 to navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings

    On the Edit menu, Add Value name ReceiveTimeout, as a type REG_DWORD. In the
    DWORD Editor, set the Decimal Radix. Enter the timeout in milliseconds.

    Example: To set a 6 minute timeout, enter 360000 (6 minutes * 60
    Seconds/Minute * 1000 Milliseconds/Second).

    You must shutdown and restart your computer for this change to take effect.

    ---

    Direct Link: http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBD/tip1900/rh1937.htm
    Tom Dyess, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Virgil Green Guest

    Dr John Stockton wrote:
    > JRS: In article
    > <> , dated Tue,
    > 4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    > posted :
    >
    >> I have an upload file operation in the web application.
    >> UploadForm.jsp is the form,
    >> and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    >> Websphere.

    > Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    > discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like
    > the difference between cat and cattle. See below.

    Perhaps you could enlighten the possibly inept programmers among us as to
    where javascript came into this discussion.

    - Virgil
    Virgil Green, Jan 5, 2005

    thanks for all your responses. couple comments and need further
    advices...

    1) This is IE 6.0. so we identify this error is client-side problem?

    2) I turn off the "friendly error messages in browser setting, but
    still display
    "The page cannot be displayed" in the web browser. The problem is I
    cannot see any log errors.

    3) This is just a simple POST from UploadForm.jsp to UploadAction.jsp,
    I don't know why
    IE tries to redirect to somewhere. This problem occurs when try to
    upload a huge file.
    any workarounds to that?

    4) I added ReceiveTimeout in regedit, but still the same result.
    any ideas? thanks a lot!!
    , Jan 5, 2005
  8. Tom Dyess Guest

    "Dr John Stockton" <> wrote in message
    > JRS: In article <>
    > , dated Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    > posted :
    >
    >>I have an upload file operation in the web application. UploadForm.jsp
    >>is the form,
    >>and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    >>Websphere.

    > Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    > discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like the
    > difference between cat and cattle. See below.
    >
    > --
    > © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 IE 4
    > ©
    > <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates,
    > sources.
    > <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items,
    > links.

    >>I have an upload file operation in the web application. *UploadForm.jsp*

    I believe .jsp is a Java Server Pages extension, while .js is a JavaScript
    extension.

    JS: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JS
    JSP: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JSP

    Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a prick AND a dolt,
    maybe you should discover the difference between a .js extension and a .jsp
    extension before you shoot your condescending mouth off.
    Tom Dyess, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Virgil Green Guest

    Tom Dyess wrote:
    > "Dr John Stockton" <> wrote in message
    >> JRS: In article
    >> <> , dated Tue,
    >> 4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    >> posted :
    >>
    >>> I have an upload file operation in the web application.
    >>> UploadForm.jsp is the form,
    >>> and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    >>> Websphere.

    >> Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    >> discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like
    >> the difference between cat and cattle. See below.
    >>
    >> --
    >> © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00
    >> IE 4 ©
    >> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of
    >> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates,
    >> sources.
    >> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items,
    >> links.

    >>> I have an upload file operation in the web application.
    >>> *UploadForm.jsp*

    > I believe .jsp is a Java Server Pages extension, while .js is a
    > JavaScript extension.
    >
    > JS: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JS
    > JSP: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JSP
    >
    > Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a prick AND
    > a dolt, maybe you should discover the difference between a .js
    > extension and a .jsp extension before you shoot your condescending
    > mouth off.

    Tom.... you let him off the hook! I was dangling bait and you snatched the
    line away!

    - Virgil
    Virgil Green, Jan 5, 2005
  10. Tom Dyess Guest

    "Virgil Green" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    >> "Dr John Stockton" <> wrote in message
    >>> JRS: In article
    >>> <> , dated Tue,
    >>> 4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    >>> posted :

    >>> Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    >>> discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like
    >>> the difference between cat and cattle. See below.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> © John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00
    >>> IE 4 ©
    >>> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> JL/RC: FAQ of
    >>> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates,
    >>> sources.
    >>> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items,
    >>> links.

    >> I believe .jsp is a Java Server Pages extension, while .js is a
    >> JavaScript extension.
    >>
    >> JS: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JS
    >> JSP: http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=JSP
    >>
    >> Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a prick AND
    >> a dolt, maybe you should discover the difference between a .js
    >> extension and a .jsp extension before you shoot your condescending
    >> mouth off.

    > Tom.... you let him off the hook! I was dangling bait and you snatched the
    > line away!
    >
    > - Virgil

    Lol. Sorry, people like that aggravate me. He deserved a thumping.
    Tom Dyess, Jan 5, 2005
  11. Tom Dyess wrote:
    > Dr John Stockton wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you
    >> should discover the difference between java and javascript; ...

    <snip>
    > Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a
    > prick AND a dolt, maybe you should discover the difference
    > between a .js extension and a .jsp extension before you
    > shoot your condescending mouth off.

    When a question that appears to have nothing to do with javascript what
    so ever is cross-posted to comp.lang.javascript there is an implication
    that whoever cross-posted it has a misconception about the relationship
    between javascript and the other technologies involved (Java/JSP
    probably being the object of that misconception). It does not seem
    unreasonable to encourage people to acquire sufficient understanding to
    avoid posting questions to groups where their subject is off topic.

    Incidentally, .js extensions on javascript URLs, and .jsp extensions on
    Java Server Page URLs are completely arbitrary (merely conventions
    and/or defaults) so there isn't really any difference between them.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 5, 2005
  12. Tom Dyess Guest

    "Richard Cornford" <> wrote in message
    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    >> Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you
    >>> should discover the difference between java and javascript; ...

    > <snip>
    >> Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a
    >> prick AND a dolt, maybe you should discover the difference
    >> between a .js extension and a .jsp extension before you
    >> shoot your condescending mouth off.

    > When a question that appears to have nothing to do with javascript what
    > so ever is cross-posted to comp.lang.javascript there is an implication
    > that whoever cross-posted it has a misconception about the relationship
    > between javascript and the other technologies involved (Java/JSP
    > probably being the object of that misconception). It does not seem
    > unreasonable to encourage people to acquire sufficient understanding to
    > avoid posting questions to groups where their subject is off topic.
    >
    > Incidentally, .js extensions on javascript URLs, and .jsp extensions on
    > Java Server Page URLs are completely arbitrary (merely conventions
    > and/or defaults) so there isn't really any difference between them.
    >
    > Richard.

    Cmon Richard, you're trying to justify this guy being a prick.

    1. Very well known and standard convention is .jsp being a Java Server Pages
    extension and .js a JavaScript extension. If I asked you what a .jsp file
    was, most likely you would say something to the effect of, "probably a JSP
    file," especially if you were implying you were an adept programmer like Dr
    John did.

    2. I didn't notice the cross reference before. I agree that it does not seem
    unreasonable to encourage people to acquire bla bla.

    3. It does seem unreasonable that he has to be a condescending prick about
    it. I mean, why attempt to embarass someone asking for help. He didn't have
    to reply; he went out of his way to be a prick, so I called him on it. I'm
    going to boast a bit, but I'll bet if I conjure up enough creative juices, I
    could be much better of a prick than he! Lol.
    Tom Dyess, Jan 5, 2005
  13. Virgil Green Guest

    Richard Cornford wrote:
    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    >> Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you
    >>> should discover the difference between java and javascript; ...

    > <snip>
    >> Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a
    >> prick AND a dolt, maybe you should discover the difference
    >> between a .js extension and a .jsp extension before you
    >> shoot your condescending mouth off.

    > When a question that appears to have nothing to do with javascript
    > what so ever is cross-posted to comp.lang.javascript there is an
    > implication that whoever cross-posted it has a misconception about
    > the relationship between javascript and the other technologies
    > involved (Java/JSP probably being the object of that misconception).
    > It does not seem unreasonable to encourage people to acquire
    > sufficient understanding to avoid posting questions to groups where
    > their subject is off topic.

    Actually, it just looks like he hit all the newsgroups that were likely to
    have experienced web developers in them. Given the nature of his question,
    I'd say that has a higher correlation than does the "I don't know the
    difference between java and javascript" theory.

    - Virgil

    - Virgil
    Virgil Green, Jan 5, 2005
  14. Zifud Guest

    Re: Upload huge file size: "The page cannot be displayed" browsererror

    Tom Dyess wrote:
    [...]
    > Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a prick AND a dolt,
    > maybe you should discover the difference between a .js extension and a .jsp
    > extension before you shoot your condescending mouth off.

    Then why is this posted to comp.lang.javascript at all?

    --
    Zif
    Zifud, Jan 5, 2005
  15. rf Guest

    "Zifud" <> wrote
    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    > [...]
    > > Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a prick AND a

    dolt,
    > > maybe you should discover the difference between a .js extension and a

    ..jsp
    > > extension before you shoot your condescending mouth off.

    > Then why is this posted to comp.lang.javascript at all?

    And why to alt.html. And why was it posted three times over a two day
    period?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 5, 2005
  16. Tom Dyess wrote:
    > Richard Cornford wrote:
    >> Tom Dyess wrote:
    >>> Dr John Stockton wrote:

    >> <snip>

    >> <snip>
    >>> Dr John, unless you want to be considered adept at being a
    >>> prick AND a dolt, maybe you should ...

    <snip>
    >> ... It does not seem unreasonable to encourage people to
    >> acquire sufficient understanding to avoid posting questions
    >> to groups where their subject is off topic.
    >>
    >> Incidentally, .js extensions on javascript URLs, and .jsp
    >> extensions on Java Server Page URLs are completely arbitrary
    >> (merely conventions and/or defaults) so there isn't really
    >> any difference between them.

    <snip>
    > Cmon Richard, you're trying to justify this guy being a prick.

    I was doing no more than pointing out that observing a question that has
    no apparent relationship to the javascript programming language, but
    posted to a javascript newsgroup, and reacting by pointing out that
    there is no relationship between Java and javascript beyond a sequence
    of characters in the names of each, is not unreasonable.

    Unfortunately it is also not uncommonly necessary, so it is not that
    surprising that such reactions should be terse. And it is also such a
    rudimentary error (for a web developer) that it is not surprising that
    such reactions should be less than polite (even ignoring the
    demonstrated disregard for the Usenet convention of reading a group's
    FAQ prior to posting questions to that group; where the appropriateness
    of Java related questions on comp.lang.javascript is suitably
    explained).

    > ... . If I asked you what a .jsp file was, most likely you
    > would say something to the effect of, "probably a JSP file,"

    I am capable of being (and inclined to be) much more precise than that,
    and likely to be influenced in my response by the context in which the
    question was asked.

    > especially if you were implying you
    > were an adept programmer like Dr John did.

    Did he imply I was an adept programmer? I entirely missed that.

    > 2. I didn't notice the cross reference before. ...

    <snip>

    That was my assumption.

    > 3. It does seem unreasonable that he has to be a condescending
    > prick about it.

    You perceived condescension, within the cultural vagaries of the use of
    English worldwide, and responded with unambiguous personal abuse? You
    have no moral high ground.

    > I mean, why attempt to embarass someone asking for help.

    1. So they can avoid the need to embarrass themselves again.
    2. To avoid any recurrence of off topic postings from the individual
    concerned.

    <snip>
    > ... I'm going to boast a bit, but I'll bet if I conjure
    > up enough creative juices, I could be much better of
    > a prick than he! Lol.

    No boasting necessarily, I am already convinced of you abilities in that
    area..

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jan 5, 2005
  17. Randy Webb Guest

    Virgil Green wrote:

    > Dr John Stockton wrote:
    >
    >>JRS: In article
    >><> , dated Tue,
    >>4 Jan 2005 20:27:31, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript,
    >> posted :
    >>

    >>>I have an upload file operation in the web application.
    >>>UploadForm.jsp is the form,
    >>>and UploadAction.jsp is the form processing. The web server is
    >>>Websphere.

    >>Firstly, if you wish to be considered an adept programmer, you should
    >>discover the difference between java and javascript; it's much like
    >>the difference between cat and cattle. See below.

    > Perhaps you could enlighten the possibly inept programmers among us as to
    > where javascript came into this discussion.

    Considering that its cross-posted to alt.html, comp.lang.javascript and
    comp.lang.java.programmer, do you need anyone to explain where
    Javascript came into the discussion?

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Jan 5, 2005
  18. Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in comp.lang.java.programmer,alt.html,comp.lang.javascript,
    Virgil Green <> said:

    > Perhaps you could enlighten the possibly inept programmers among us as to
    > where javascript came into this discussion.

    That would be in the headers, where it was crossposted to
    comp.lang.javascript (among others).

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jan 5, 2005
  19. Tom Dyess Guest

    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    >> Richard Cornford wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>> <snip>

    > <snip>
    >>> ... It does not seem unreasonable to encourage people to
    >>> acquire sufficient understanding to avoid posting questions
    >>> to groups where their subject is off topic.
    >>>
    >>> Incidentally, .js extensions on javascript URLs, and .jsp
    >>> extensions on Java Server Page URLs are completely arbitrary
    >>> (merely conventions and/or defaults) so there isn't really
    >>> any difference between them.

    > <snip>
    >> Cmon Richard, you're trying to justify this guy being a prick.

    > I was doing no more than pointing out that observing a question that has
    > no apparent relationship to the javascript programming language, but
    > posted to a javascript newsgroup, and reacting by pointing out that
    > there is no relationship between Java and javascript beyond a sequence
    > of characters in the names of each, is not unreasonable.

    "relationship to the javascript programming language." You've got to be
    kidding me. Do you think that explaining something using formal nomenclature
    makes it a more valid point? Why didn't you just type "Java?" How were you
    trying to present yourself? Lol. If you are going to discuss something,
    discuss the issue. Don't skirt around it with million dollar words with no
    meaning, and if you are going to do it, don't use five dollar words. (that's
    an analogy, folks!) People with half a brain see right through it. Let me
    ask you this: did you not think he was being a prick? Do you think he could
    have been more diplomatic? Yes or no only please.

    > Unfortunately it is also not uncommonly necessary, so it is not that
    > surprising that such reactions should be terse. And it is also such a
    > rudimentary error (for a web developer) that it is not surprising that
    > such reactions should be less than polite (even ignoring the
    > demonstrated disregard for the Usenet convention of reading a group's
    > FAQ prior to posting questions to that group; where the appropriateness
    > of Java related questions on comp.lang.javascript is suitably
    > explained).

    Bla bla bla. No excuse to be a prick, life is too hard. People piss me off
    every day, but I treat most with respect.

    >> ... . If I asked you what a .jsp file was, most likely you
    >> would say something to the effect of, "probably a JSP file,"

    > I am capable of being (and inclined to be) much more precise than that,
    > and likely to be influenced in my response by the context in which the
    > question was asked.

    Too bad you were incapable of being direct on that response. It much more
    valuable. Ok, humor me, if someone new to Java asked you what a .jsp file
    was, how would you respond? 100 words maximum please.

    >> especially if you were implying you
    >> were an adept programmer like Dr John did.

    > Did he imply I was an adept programmer? I entirely missed that.

    It was an implied "you" meaning "one." Sorry, I should have said "especially
    if one were implying that one was an adept programmer." Incase you are still
    having trouble, the pronoun, "one" means Dr. John, not you meaning Richard.
    Sheesh. Didn't think I had to spell it out, I mean this is a programmer's
    forum for Christ's sake. Don't pretend to be obtuse.

    >> 2. I didn't notice the cross reference before. ...

    > <snip>
    >
    > That was my assumption.

    That was correct! No argument here. Still no reason for Dr. John to be a
    prick.

    >> 3. It does seem unreasonable that he has to be a condescending
    >> prick about it.

    > You perceived condescension, within the cultural vagaries of the use of
    > English worldwide, and responded with unambiguous personal abuse? You
    > have no moral high ground.

    **** you. Hows that for moral high ground?. He attacked someone, I defended
    them by attacking him back. I don't like bullies. You defended the attacker.
    What does that make you? I no longer believe you are in any position to
    judge my moral high ground.

    >> I mean, why attempt to embarrass someone asking for help.

    > 1. So they can avoid the need to embarrass themselves again.
    > 2. To avoid any recurrence of off topic postings from the individual
    > concerned.

    I'm assuming you agree with his position, otherwise I wouldn't say this. Do
    you beat your kids for spilling milk? He should show some fucking restraint
    and discipline. Maybe learn some cordiality. Maybe the guy's new. Ever think
    Dr. John should instruct him on where the FAQ's are or at the very least
    shut the **** up? No, someone looking for help makes a mistake, Dr. John is
    more than eager to rapes his ass and you are behind him waiting your turn.
    What the ****?

    > <snip>
    >> ... I'm going to boast a bit, but I'll bet if I conjure
    >> up enough creative juices, I could be much better of
    >> a prick than he! Lol.

    > No boasting necessarily, I am already convinced of you abilities in that
    > area..

    You have no idea. Lol.

    > Richard.

    With everloving regards,

    Tom
    Tom Dyess, Jan 6, 2005
  20. Tom Dyess Guest

    > Tom Dyess wrote:
    >> Richard Cornford wrote:
    >>> <snip>
    >>> <snip>

    > <snip>
    >>> ... It does not seem unreasonable to encourage people to
    >>> acquire sufficient understanding to avoid posting questions
    >>> to groups where their subject is off topic.
    >>>
    >>> Incidentally, .js extensions on javascript URLs, and .jsp
    >>> extensions on Java Server Page URLs are completely arbitrary
    >>> (merely conventions and/or defaults) so there isn't really
    >>> any difference between them.

    > <snip>
    >> Cmon Richard, you're trying to justify this guy being a prick.

    > I was doing no more than pointing out that observing a question that has
    > no apparent relationship to the javascript programming language, but
    > posted to a javascript newsgroup, and reacting by pointing out that
    > there is no relationship between Java and javascript beyond a sequence
    > of characters in the names of each, is not unreasonable.

    "relationship to the javascript programming language." You've got to be
    kidding me. Do you think that explaining something using formal nomenclature
    makes it a more valid point? Why didn't you just type "Java?" How were you
    trying to present yourself? Lol. If you are going to discuss something,
    discuss the issue. Don't skirt around it with million dollar words with no
    meaning, and if you are going to do it, don't use five dollar words. (that's
    an analogy, folks!) People with half a brain (like me? maybe. Lol. Beat you
    to it.) see right through it. Let me
    ask you this: did you not think he was being a prick? Do you think he could
    have been more diplomatic? Yes or no only please.

    > Unfortunately it is also not uncommonly necessary, so it is not that
    > surprising that such reactions should be terse. And it is also such a
    > rudimentary error (for a web developer) that it is not surprising that
    > such reactions should be less than polite (even ignoring the
    > demonstrated disregard for the Usenet convention of reading a group's
    > FAQ prior to posting questions to that group; where the appropriateness
    > of Java related questions on comp.lang.javascript is suitably
    > explained).

    Bla bla bla. No excuse to be a prick, life is too hard. People piss me off
    every day, but I treat most with respect. There is a differense between
    being terse or kurt and being a prick. Terse is quick and to the point,
    being a prick doesn't accomplish anything productive.

    Terse: Please don't post java questions in the javascript newsgroups.
    Prick: Bla bla if you aspire to being an adept programmer, bla bla I'm so
    smart, you're so stoooopid.

    >> ... . If I asked you what a .jsp file was, most likely you
    >> would say something to the effect of, "probably a JSP file,"

    > I am capable of being (and inclined to be) much more precise than that,
    > and likely to be influenced in my response by the context in which the
    > question was asked.

    Too bad you were incapable of being direct on that response. It much more
    valuable. What's wrong with the context in which I asked it? Ok, humor me,
    if someone new to Java asked you what a .jsp file
    was, how would you respond? 100 words maximum please. Do I need to provide a
    setting as well?

    >> especially if you were implying you
    >> were an adept programmer like Dr John did.

    > Did he imply I was an adept programmer? I entirely missed that.

    It was an implied "you" meaning "one." Sorry, I should have said "especially
    if one were implying that one was an adept programmer." Incase you are still
    having trouble, the pronoun, "one" means Dr. John, not you, meaning Richard.
    Sheesh. Didn't think I had to spell it out, I mean this is a programmer's
    forum for Christ's sake. Don't pretend to be obtuse to make a point, the
    value of "one's" character it isn't worth it.

    >> 2. I didn't notice the cross reference before. ...

    > <snip>
    >
    > That was my assumption.

    That was correct! No argument here. Still no reason for Dr. John to be a
    prick.

    >> 3. It does seem unreasonable that he has to be a condescending
    >> prick about it.

    > You perceived condescension, within the cultural vagaries of the use of
    > English worldwide, and responded with unambiguous personal abuse? You
    > have no moral high ground.

    **** you. Hows that for moral high ground?. He attacked someone, I defended
    them by attacking him back. I don't like bullies. You defended the attacker.
    What does that make you? I no longer believe you are in any position to
    judge my moral high ground.

    >> I mean, why attempt to embarrass someone asking for help.

    > 1. So they can avoid the need to embarrass themselves again.
    > 2. To avoid any recurrence of off topic postings from the individual
    > concerned.

    I'm assuming you agree with his position, otherwise I wouldn't say this. Do
    you beat your kids for spilling milk? He should show some fucking restraint
    and discipline. Maybe learn some cordiality. Maybe the guy's new. Ever think
    Dr. John should instruct him on where the FAQ's are or at the very least
    shut the **** up? No, someone looking for help makes a mistake, Dr. John is
    more than eager to rape his ass and you are behind him waiting your turn.
    What the ****?

    > <snip>
    >> ... I'm going to boast a bit, but I'll bet if I conjure
    >> up enough creative juices, I could be much better of
    >> a prick than he! Lol.

    > No boasting necessarily, I am already convinced of you abilities in that
    > area..

    You have no idea. Lol.

    > Richard.

    With everloving regards,