URGENT HELP - avoid anchor links in HTML email to open page in IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by henry tourneur, Dec 23, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I made a web page I 've to send per email. This page includes standard
    anchor points & hyperlinks (a name="" and a href="#").
    My problem is that when you receive the email & click on a link, instead of
    going to the anchor point immediately, Windows opens IE, go to that page at
    the corresponding anchor point.

    How to avoid this?

    So I would like to "stay" in the email and go to the anchor point (exactly
    like many HTML mailings I receive - see Macromedia newsletters for ex.). I
    checked the sources of these emails but see nothing special. They use simple
    anchor points & links. Am I missing something? Is it in the way you send the
    email?

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,

    Henry Tourneur

    henry tourneur, Dec 23, 2004

  2. henry tourneur

    jlambrecht Guest

    i hope you're not into spam ... target="_self"

    jlambrecht, Dec 23, 2004

  3. Thanks for your answer; Unfortunatelly, it doesn't change anything.
    And don't be afraid, I'm not a spammer (I hate that) but only a webdesigner.
    My customer is in charge of sending the emails.

    ;-)

    henry tourneur, Dec 23, 2004
  4. henry tourneur

    Dan Guest

    henry tourneur wrote:
    > My problem is that when you receive the email & click on a link,

    instead of
    > going to the anchor point immediately, Windows opens IE, go to that

    page at
    > the corresponding anchor point.

    This is certainly system, platform, and configuration dependent; in my
    case, with Pegasus Mail set up as my mail program and Mozilla as my
    browser, I never experience "Windows opening IE" as a result of
    clicking on anything in a mail message.

    --
    Dan

    Dan, Dec 23, 2004
  5. No, this is not system dependent. It can't because, as I wrote in my first
    message (see below), I also receive emails that are reacting "normally". See
    the second part of my first message:

    So I would like to "stay" in the email and go to the anchor point (exactly
    like many HTML mailings I receive - see Macromedia newsletters for ex.). I
    checked the sources of these emails but see nothing special. They use simple
    anchor points & links.

    Any other idea?

    Thanks in advance

    henry tourneur, Dec 23, 2004
  6. henry tourneur

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "henry tourneur" <> wrote:

    >I made a web page I 've to send per email. This page includes standard
    >anchor points & hyperlinks (a name="" and a href="#").
    >My problem is that when you receive the email & click on a link, instead of
    >going to the anchor point immediately, Windows opens IE, go to that page at
    >the corresponding anchor point.
    >
    >How to avoid this?
    >
    >So I would like to "stay" in the email and go to the anchor point (exactly
    >like many HTML mailings I receive - see Macromedia newsletters for ex.). I
    >checked the sources of these emails but see nothing special. They use simple
    >anchor points & links. Am I missing something?

    Without being able to see the source of your email we can only guess.

    Have you got a <base href="..."> in there?
    Or a <base target="..."> ?
    Does whatever sends your e-mails rewrite the code? (Have you checked
    that the code of the actual recieved e-mail only has <a href="#foo">
    and nothing else, no filename, no target attribute?)

    > Is it in the way you send the email?

    Not as far as I know but I try to avoid sending HTML e-mails.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Dec 23, 2004