Use link to forward Session entries instead of Request Dispatcher

francan00

I have objects that I pass from a Servlet to JSP using
RequestDispatcher type. Now, I was wondering if I can do the same with
a link but not sure how I do that:

Servlet called MyServlet.java (or MyServlet in web.xml mapping):

String firstname = request.getParameter("firstname");
String lastname = request.getParameter("lastname");
String city= request.getParameter("city");
String state= request.getParameter("state");
session.setAttribute("firstname", firstname);
session.setAttribute("lastname", lastname);
session.setAttribute("city", city);
session.setAttribute("state", state);
RequestDispatcher dispatcher = getServletContex
().getRequestDispatcher("start.jsp");
dispatcher.forward(request, response);

The above servlet automatically goes to the JSP and shows the
firstname,lastname, city and state values that were submitted from a
form. What is the equivalent of the RequestDispatcher where I can put
a link instead so the user can click on the link and that will take
them to the JSP with the session values:

This is not working because takes to a null error page:

response.setContentType("text/html");
PrintWriter out = response.getWriter();
out.println("<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 " +
"Transitional//EN\">\n" +
"<HTML>\n" +
"<HEAD><TITLE>Hello WWW</TITLE></HEAD>\n" +
"<BODY>\n" +
"</BODY></HTML>");

Please advise.

Manish Pandit

[...]

IMO you do not need a servlet for this task. You can submit the form
directly to the JSP.

<form name="myform" action="/start.jsp">
<input type="text" name="firstname"...../>
</form>

In start.jsp, use EL to get the values

-cheers,
Manish

francan00

IMO you do not need a servlet for this task. You can submit the form
directly to the JSP.

<form name="myform" action="/start.jsp">
<input type="text" name="firstname"...../>
..
..
</form>

In start.jsp, use EL to get the values

..
..

-cheers,
Manish- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I need the Servlet as a Controller for other stuff and I dont
have EL or JSTL in my Tomcat 4.1.27. Please advise.