    What I want to do should be simple but I can find no way to do it with VS
    with any visual designer support. I thought the 'V' in VS stood for Visual.

    Can anyone point me to a resource please???
    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Whould be nice to know what the problem is.

    Ruslan Shlain, Dec 11, 2003

  3. What is it that you are trying to do? User controls (ascx controls) have
    designer support. If you are attempting to make a custom control (sometimes
    called a server control) then you don't get designer support, because it's
    all about handling events and spitting out HTML (or any plain text, really)
    when it is told to render. If you can give details, we can try and point you
    in the right direction. I have done both extensively.

    --
    Chris Jackson
    Software Engineer

    Chris Jackson, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    Please read my previous posts (don't want to clog group with repeats).
    Should show just prior to this post.

    Thanks

    "Chris Jackson" <chrisjATmvpsDOTorgNOSPAM> wrote in message
    > What is it that you are trying to do? User controls (ascx controls) have
    > designer support. If you are attempting to make a custom control

    (sometimes
    > called a server control) then you don't get designer support, because it's
    > all about handling events and spitting out HTML (or any plain text,

    really)
    > when it is told to render. If you can give details, we can try and point

    you
    > in the right direction. I have done both extensively.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Jackson
    > Software Engineer
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Client
    > Windows XP Associate Expert
    > --
    > More people read the newsgroups than read my email.
    > Reply to the newsgroup for a faster response.
    > (Control-G using Outlook Express)
    > --
    >
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in

    message

    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    Please check my prior posts (don't want to clog newgroup with dups)

    Thanks Lloyd Sheen

    "Ruslan Shlain" <> wrote in message
    > Whould be nice to know what the problem is.
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in

    message

    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Lloyd Sheen

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Try this

    http://asp.net/Tutorials/quickstart.aspx

    Its got a few things on controls. my user control if you mean .ascx objects.
    Well they are just the normal aspx files which are stripped of all the extra
    tags
    all you have to do is rename the aspx file into ascx and then change
    Codebehind="ModuleTitle.ascx.cs"
    to point it to ascx instead of earlier aspx...
    and you user control is up and running.

    Unfortunately when you load it it acts like a server side include and its
    not parse so all you see is a greyish object with UserControl-id of control
    when added to an asp.net page (aspx)

    Hope this helped...

    Hermit Dave

    Hermit Dave, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    What I am trying to do is use code that works on one page in other pages.
    It is a set of controls that access information from a SQL Server and
    populate a list depending on certain criteria.

    I need to have the same functionallity on several pages. This is what I
    would think is the best cause for the use of user controls.

    I am new to ASP.NET and have taken the idea of a user control from previous
    VS types (VB6). I would think you could create a user control for ASP by
    creating the child controls, add code to put functionallity to those
    controls (server side) and then be able to add that control to ASP pages.
    This does not seem to be a viable thing to do in VS 2003.
    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003
  8. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    This does nothing for me. I need to be able to access other controls on the
    page. Be able to position the control. Actually what I want to know is if
    I can from scratch create a new user control . Add child controls to this.
    Add code to this. Add properties to this. Use the resultant control.

    Sorry if I seem bitchy but I am now on the 42nd page of the google search
    and still no resolution.

    Having VS 2003 at the present is as usefull as notepad. And notepad takes
    less memory.
    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003
  9. Lloyd Sheen

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Well my friend what you are talking bout is a custom web control.
    You have two options.
    1. Creating everything yourself (Even emitting the correct html code.)
    2. User a composite control which is exactly what it means. You consume
    other controls and delegate the task. But you have to ensure that you call
    EnsureChildControls has been called

    Yes you can define your own properties and you can set one of the properties
    to style. Which will give you the position of control
    If you need style settings for child controls too... then try something like
    datagrid... you have PagerStyle and ItemStyle.

    I think i have seen a book from wrox press on custom web controls. Should
    sort you out.... To start up just look at the link i gave you earlier. or
    try this one...

    http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webctrlauthoring.aspx

    for creating custom web controls.... You can look on asp.net books as
    well... they generally do have a chapter on creating controls.. and atleast
    an example of each...

    Hermit Dave

    Hermit Dave, Dec 11, 2003
  10. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    So then the answer is no. You cannot use VS 2003 to do this other than as
    an expensive notepad??

    "Hermit Dave" <> wrote in message
    > Well my friend what you are talking bout is a custom web control.
    > You have two options.
    > 1. Creating everything yourself (Even emitting the correct html code.)
    > 2. User a composite control which is exactly what it means. You consume
    > other controls and delegate the task. But you have to ensure that you call
    > EnsureChildControls has been called
    >
    > Yes you can define your own properties and you can set one of the

    properties
    > to style. Which will give you the position of control
    > If you need style settings for child controls too... then try something

    like
    > datagrid... you have PagerStyle and ItemStyle.
    >
    > I think i have seen a book from wrox press on custom web controls. Should
    > sort you out.... To start up just look at the link i gave you earlier. or
    > try this one...
    >
    > http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webctrlauthoring.aspx
    >
    > for creating custom web controls.... You can look on asp.net books as
    > well... they generally do have a chapter on creating controls.. and

    atleast
    > an example of each...
    >
    > Hermit Dave
    >
    > "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in

    message

    Lloyd Sheen, Dec 11, 2003
  11. Lloyd Sheen

    Hermit Dave Guest

    Well if you can read and understand then... yes you can but you have to work
    for it....
    You can't just drag and drop and expect everything to work.... try using a
    ..net control similar to activex control for that

    Hermit Dave, Dec 11, 2003
  12. What you want to do seems fairly straightforward. You just need to create a
    user control, which you can use the visual designer to do. Then, you need to
    go in to the code behind and customize based on your needs. Let me see if I
    can expand your scenario in a way that is meaningful. You want to get
    information from SQL Server, and what you intend to display is dependent on
    what page you are sitting on. Well, then your develop a user control that
    displays a generic DataGrid that you can later databind to some (still to be
    defined) data source. Then, you can access the hosting page using the Parent
    property of that control, if the information is there. Or, you could store
    that information in a session variable. There are countless ways to
    develop - you have a completely object oriented environment in which to
    play, and you just need to design your architecture so you can phrase your
    "question" to this user control in a completely generic way. In fact, I have
    several sites that contain only a single aspx control, and the entire
    application logic determines what user controls should be loaded, and what
    data they could contain. The framework is extremely powerful. If you can
    phrase your question more specifically, then perhaps we can give you tips
    and tricks to get you to the answer in the most efficient way - just wanting
    to reuse code is a question that the UserControl class answers rather
    succinctly.

    Chris Jackson, Dec 12, 2003