usercontrol_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nemisis, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. Nemisis

    Nemisis Guest

    Hi all,

    I am getting this error when i try to access a particular page on my
    site, the site was working perfectly until i edited some code which
    was nothing to do with the user control, and not even on the same page
    as the control is on. I have looked on the net about this and tried
    the various things that have been mentioned but nothing works.

    One thing that is very wierd about it all, is that the code works
    perfectly fine on my laptop, and even on the other developers laptops,
    but only on this one box, which is running Windows Server 2003, is it
    appearing.

    has anyone else had this problem before and know how to fix it??

    The error is

    usercontrol_ascx' is ambiguous in the namespace 'ASP'.

    Thanks in advanced, this error is really starting to get on my nerves

    Nemisis, Apr 13, 2007

  2. One thing that I would try is delete all of the temprary ASP.NET files under
    c:\windows\Microsoft .NET

    Sometimes they get corrupted. eyond that, I would do a search fo the
    duplicated name and see if you can find a problem.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Apr 13, 2007

  3. Nemisis

    Riki Guest

    Probably, you have 2 files with the name "usercontrol.ascx".

    Either, rename one of the files, or in at least one of them,
    add a class name to the Control directive:
    <%@ Control Language="VB" ClassName="MyUniqueClassname" %>

    --

    Riki

    Riki, Apr 13, 2007
  4. Sometimes errors like that one crop up due to a known compiler bug.

    Try disabling batch compilation, and see if doing that fixes it:

    <system.web>
    <compilation debug="false" batch="false"></compilation>
    </system.web>

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 13, 2007
  5. Nemisis

    Nemisis Guest

    Thanks everyone for there feedback, i have tried all the suggestions.

    The one that seemed to work was setting batch=false in the web.config
    file.

    I am interested to know why this has worked? I tried to look what
    changing this setting done and didnt find much, could you explain
    slightly? Thanks again for all the help

    Nemisis, Apr 16, 2007