    mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
    Linux, Palm OS etc).
    Tomasz
    Widom, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Widom

    Tim Golden Guest

    Widom wrote:
    > Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens for
    > SyBase-Anyware databse ?
    > Where can I found more information how handle SyBase SQL-Anyware from Python
    > ?
    > Meybe it sounds strange but I am looking for languguage I can write TEXT
    > mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
    > Linux, Palm OS etc).
    > Tomasz

    Don't know if this helps, but Object Craft have a module
    to interface to Sybase ASE from Python at
    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/

    Might be worth a look.

    TJG
    Tim Golden, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Widom> Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens
    Widom> for SyBase-Anyware databse ?

    None here. Have you asked on the -craft.com.au
    mailing list?

    Skip
    Skip Montanaro, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Hi,

    > Does anybody expirience Python for writing user
    > front-end screens for SyBase-Anyware database ?

    Sybase Anywhere ASA (ex-watcom sql) is an
    odbc-orientated dbms solution from Sybase.

    We have been succssful using it from python via
    mxodbc both on linux (some tweaking may be
    required) and win32 (plain easy).

    I have no experience or feedback of ASA
    connections through FreeTDS.

    It should work as well... I'd be glad to hear
    that it does:)

    François
    francois lepoutre, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Widom

    Tomasz Guest

    Hello Francois,

    Thank you for repling.

    I am exately interesting in old ex-wotcom sql oriented products. At the
    moment I still use old WatCom 4.0 but I like to transfer to new ASA
    products. Becouse I am not so happy with visual products (Visual Basic,
    Power Builder etc.), I am looking for nice languague I can easly write
    front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
    seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
    and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).

    Please let me know your opinion if any.

    Best Regards,

    Tomasz

    U¿ytkownik "francois lepoutre" <> napisa³ w
    wiadomo¶ci news:40dbbf6b$0$16984$...

    Tomasz, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Widom

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Tomasz" <> writes:
    [...]
    > front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
    > seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
    > and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).

    [...]

    Pythons, though bulky, are apparently quite fast *enough* to swallow
    large mammals in one piece, so I don't blame you for being afraid
    <wink>.

    John
    John J. Lee, Jun 30, 2004