Using Python with SyBase

Widom

Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens for
SyBase-Anyware databse ?
Where can I found more information how handle SyBase SQL-Anyware from Python
?
Meybe it sounds strange but I am looking for languguage I can write TEXT
mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
Linux, Palm OS etc).
Tomasz

Tim Golden

Widom said:
Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens for
SyBase-Anyware databse ?
Where can I found more information how handle SyBase SQL-Anyware from Python
?
Meybe it sounds strange but I am looking for languguage I can write TEXT
mode front-end software (in IBM old style) for diferent platforms (Windows,
Linux, Palm OS etc).
Tomasz

Don't know if this helps, but Object Craft have a module
to interface to Sybase ASE from Python at
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/

Might be worth a look.

TJG

Skip Montanaro

Widom> Does anybody expirience Python for writing user front-end screens
Widom> for SyBase-Anyware databse ?

None here. Have you asked on the (e-mail address removed)-craft.com.au
mailing list?

Skip

francois lepoutre

Hi,
Does anybody expirience Python for writing user
front-end screens for SyBase-Anyware database ?

Sybase Anywhere ASA (ex-watcom sql) is an
odbc-orientated dbms solution from Sybase.

We have been succssful using it from python via
mxodbc both on linux (some tweaking may be
required) and win32 (plain easy).

I have no experience or feedback of ASA
connections through FreeTDS.

It should work as well... I'd be glad to hear
that it does:)

François

Tomasz

Hello Francois,

Thank you for repling.

I am exately interesting in old ex-wotcom sql oriented products. At the
moment I still use old WatCom 4.0 but I like to transfer to new ASA
products. Becouse I am not so happy with visual products (Visual Basic,
Power Builder etc.), I am looking for nice languague I can easly write
front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).

Please let me know your opinion if any.

Best Regards,

Tomasz

John J. Lee

Tomasz said:
front-end screens in text mode. Python gives me a good fealling for that it
seams it is what I am looking for. I am bit afreraid for stability of Python
and for speed relaibility (it is just an interpreter only).
[...]

Pythons, though bulky, are apparently quite fast *enough* to swallow
large mammals in one piece, so I don't blame you for being afraid
<wink>.

John