Nathan Sokalski

My Web.config file contains the following section to register some of my
UserControls:

<pages>
<controls>
<add tagPrefix="NATE" tagName="Banner" src="~/Banner.ascx"/>
<add tagPrefix="NATE" tagName="Navigation" src="~/Navigation.ascx"/>
</controls>
</pages>

However, I still receive the following error:

Element 'Banner' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a
compilation error in the Web site.
Element 'Navigation' is not a known element. This can occur if there is a
compilation error in the Web site.

I have tried compiling, and this is the only error I receive. Is there
something I am forgetting to do? Is there something wrong with my Web.config
file? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski

Didn't help. I think that Visual Studio .NET 2005 is not realizing that I
have the controls registered in my Web.config file. Any other ideas?

Juan T. Llibre

Nathan,

I don't see "src" documented anywhere.
I do see "source" documented, however.

Could you check to see if this works :

<add
tagprefix="NATE"
tagname="Banner"
source="Banner.ascx"/>

<add
tagprefix="NATE"
tagname="Navigation"
source="Navigation.ascx"/>

?

....and let us know if it works.

Nathan Sokalski

I am not sure what documentation you are looking at, but if you go to:

ms-help://MS.VSCC.v80/MS.MSDN.v80/MS.NETDEVFX.v20.en/dv_ASPNETgenref/html/852861eb-dba7-41eb-9c34-fa09b99abac0.htm

It contains the following documentation under the Attributes section:

src
Optional String attribute.

Specifies the name of the file that contains the user control and
requires that the tagName attribute is also set.

Also, when I tried changing it from src to source the error specified that
'source' was an unrecognized attribute. Any other ideas?

Gaurav Vaish \(www.Edujini-Labs.com\)

If the ascx and aspx are in the same directory, you will get an error
stating that the control could not be loaded:

"because it is registered in web.config and lives in the same directory as
the page"

Make a directory, say, UControls and then do the following:

<add tagPrefix='nate' tagName='Banner' src='~/UControls/Banner.ascx' />

btw, there's no 'source' attribute. There's only 'src' attribute in
<controls><add> element.

HTH