Validation controls

Stephen

Hi,

Does Validation controls like "Required field validator".... ever work with
Netscape or we have to write javascript for either client-side or write
server side validation.

Please advice.
Stephen

Stephen

Hi scott,
thanks for the reply but the required field validator does not work "as
required" in netscape.

suppose i have a text box and a required field validator, when I hit the
"button" in IE, the required field validator captures it and only when I
enter some value, it uses "Response.redirect to another page"

but in Netscape, it just redirects when I hit the button.

Please Advice,
stephen.

Scott M.

It is possible that you have JavaScript disabled in your copy of Netscape.
The client-side JavaScript that is generated by the RequiredFieldValidator
is standard JavaScript that is compatible with any browser capable of
interpreting JavaScript.

I just did a test on a form that uses Required, Custom and Range Validators
in Netscape 6.2 and they all work properly.

Peter Blum

While someone else said the client-side validation scripts work in Netscape,
they do not. Microsoft wrote them using DHTML (IE's scripting system), not
DOM (Netscape's system). You will get javascript errors if you attempt to
use them on Netscape.

I rewrote ASP.NET validation after discovering numerous limitations in
Microsoft's implementation. You can have a look at my solution (its a
commercial product) at http://www.peterblum.com/vam/home.aspx. Its 22
validators all support client-side validation on IE, IE/Mac,
Netscape/Mozilla/FireFox, Opera 7 and Safari.

--- Peter Blum
www.PeterBlum.com
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Peter Blum said:
While someone else said the client-side validation scripts work in
Netscape,
they do not. Microsoft wrote them using DHTML (IE's scripting system), not
DOM (Netscape's system). You will get javascript errors if you attempt to
use them on Netscape.

That's just not true. The validation controls work just fine in Netscape
6.2.

Peter Blum

Hi Scott,

Microsoft's client side validation does not work on DOM browsers. I will
provide two forms of evidence:

1. Microsoft uses document.all to retrieve an object on the page.
document.all is not supported in DOM (which includes Netscape 6 and higher,
Mozilla, and FireFox). The use of document.all alone will generate
javascript errors on these browsers. Search your HTML page and you will see
an array of document.all calls, one for each validator. This will generate
the error as the page loads. Open the WebUIValidation.js file supplied by
Microsoft. Search for document.all. Its the only way the script file uses to
get an object on the page.

2. Here's a complete article on the subject:

The Microsoft validators work fine with server side validation on all
browsers.