    tools can completely replace Quartus II?

    Thanks a lot.

    Binary Chen

    Binary, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Binary

    Brian Guest

    Binary wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Quartus II as my development tools to write VHDL, but I
    > found that it is too large and too slow, are there any light-wight
    > tools can completely replace Quartus II?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Binary Chen

    Try expressive-IV, it might be of use to you. There is a fully
    functional demo you can download and try it.

    --

    Cheers
    Brian

    Brian, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Binary wrote:

    > I am using Quartus II as my development tools to write VHDL, but I
    > found that it is too large and too slow,

    Synthesis by trial and error is very inefficient.
    To write vhdl quickly I need a good editor
    tied in to a good simulator. Quartus is neither
    of these.

    However, once the code is simulating OK,
    Quartus is a good synthesis tool, and
    has an excellent rtl viewer.

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Binary

    avishay Guest

    Binary wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using Quartus II as my development tools to write VHDL, but I
    > found that it is too large and too slow, are there any light-wight
    > tools can completely replace Quartus II?
    >
    > Thanks a lot.
    >
    > Binary Chen

    What exactly do you mean when you say "develop"? If you're developing
    directly in hardware, you need a synthesis tool, like Quartus. If,
    however, you need simulation, Quartus is not a good choice. I'm using
    Modelsim for simulation, which is an excellent tool, but costly. I have
    heard a lot about ghdl, a free VHDL simulator, maybe you should try
    this.

    Avishay

    avishay, Dec 14, 2005