visual IDEs

Slash

Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

Thanks!
Slash

Kari S

Slash said:
Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE
for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was
hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

Thanks!
Slash

I recommend eclipse or NetBeans.
http://www.eclipse.org
http://www.netbeans.org

-Kari S.

David Siebert

Slash said:
Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

Thanks!
Slash
How about NetBeans?
www.netbeans.org it is free.
There is also Eclipse from IBM. www.eclipse.org. It is not really a
visual IDE from what I hear but people do love it.

Harald Hein

Slash said:
Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
be this group.

This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?

TechBookReport

Slash said:
Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

Thanks!
Slash
There's always JCreator if you're developing under Windows.

Pan

http://www.techbookreport.com

Slash

Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely check
out JCreator and NetBeans!

Slash

Thomas G. Marshall

Harald Hein said:
This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?

Bah! Slash, you go ahead and ask away. There's nothing wrong with that no
matter how many times a question is asked. If it bothers a person, then
that person is free to ignore it.

Thomas G. Marshall

Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

Chris Smith

Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as well,
and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few years ago.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Thomas G. Marshall

Chris Smith said:
AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as
well, and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few
years ago.

I don't think the OP meant GUI editing, but if he did, there IS such a beast
(eclipse plugin) with a stoopid name:
http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html

It has a totally free community edition too. A little rough around the
edges for installation, but it's worth a shot.

I have /other/ issues with eclipse though, but am feeling tired of hollering
about them. :(

Tim Ward

Slash said:
Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely check
out JCreator and NetBeans!

I find NetBeans has an awful lot of serious problems (bugs and performance
being the two at the top of the list, but there are others).

That's compared to Visual Studio, however; it's entirely possible that there
isn't a better Java IDE.

Shane Mingins

Tim Ward said:
I find NetBeans has an awful lot of serious problems (bugs and performance
being the two at the top of the list, but there are others).

That's compared to Visual Studio, however; it's entirely possible that there
isn't a better Java IDE.

There is! It's found at http://www.intellij.com/idea/ but is sounded like

1. the OP wanted an IDE with a GUI builder on it ... which IMO is not how
most people create serious Swing/GUI applications

and ...

2. the OP wanted a practically FREE IDE, which IDEA is not ... but what's
$500 USD for the coolest IDE avaliable ;-)

Depending on your requirements try an eval copy of IDEA .... it's just
brilliant to use!

Shane
--
(e-mail address removed)

remove clothes before replying

"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." --- Charles Darwin

Thomas G. Marshall

Shane Mingins said:
There is! It's found at http://www.intellij.com/idea/ but is
sounded like

1. the OP wanted an IDE with a GUI builder on it ... which IMO is not
how most people create serious Swing/GUI applications

and ...

2. the OP wanted a practically FREE IDE, which IDEA is not ... but
what's $500 USD for the coolest IDE avaliable ;-)

Depending on your requirements try an eval copy of IDEA .... it's just
brilliant to use!

I might consider such a payment, MAYBE, if I knew that they wouldn't
continue to soak me for revision after revision after revision the way most
software makers do.

Tim Ward

Thomas G. Marshall said:
I might consider such a payment, MAYBE, if I knew that they wouldn't
continue to soak me for revision after revision after revision the way most
software makers do.

Well, you want them to fix bugs and keep up with evolving standards don't
you? How else are they going to pay their programmers, given that nobody can
be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this type of software any
more?

Thomas G. Marshall

Tim Ward said:
"Thomas G. Marshall"

Well, you want them to fix bugs and keep up with evolving standards
don't you? How else are they going to pay their programmers, given
that nobody can be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this
type of software any more?

I want them to "fix" the bugs they make for free, rather than quietly roll
the bug fixes into a future rev. that I have to pay for.

Thomas G. Marshall

Tim Ward <[email protected]> horrified us with:

....[slash]...
How else are they going to pay their programmers, given
that nobody can be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this
type of software any more?

Where did you get this information?

Ravi

Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

How come no one here recommended Gel?
I'm using it. It's pretty good.