    to find something similar. Please advise.

    Thanks!
    Slash
    Slash, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Slash

    Kari S Guest

    Slash wrote:

    > Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but
    > figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
    > looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE
    > for
    > creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
    > but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was
    > hoping
    > to find something similar. Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Slash

    I recommend eclipse or NetBeans.
    http://www.eclipse.org
    http://www.netbeans.org

    -Kari S.
    Kari S, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Slash wrote:
    > Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
    > figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
    > looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
    > creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
    > but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
    > to find something similar. Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Slash

    How about NetBeans?
    www.netbeans.org it is free.
    There is also Eclipse from IBM. www.eclipse.org. It is not really a
    visual IDE from what I hear but people do love it.
    David Siebert, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Slash

    Harald Hein Guest

    "Slash" wrote:

    > Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
    > group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
    > be this group.

    This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
    archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?
    Harald Hein, Sep 23, 2003
  5. "Slash" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but

    > figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
    > looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE

    for
    > creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
    > but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was

    hoping
    > to find something similar. Please advise.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Slash

    There's always JCreator if you're developing under Windows.

    Pan

    http://www.techbookreport.com
    TechBookReport, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Slash

    Slash Guest

    Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely check
    out JCreator and NetBeans!

    Slash

    Slash, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Harald Hein <> horrified us with:

    > "Slash" wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
    >> group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
    >> be this group.

    > This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
    > archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?

    Bah! Slash, you go ahead and ask away. There's nothing wrong with that no
    matter how many times a question is asked. If it bothers a person, then
    that person is free to ignore it.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
    about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

    Slash <> horrified us with:

    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Slash

    Chris Smith Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

    > Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
    > about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

    AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
    thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
    not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as well,
    and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few years ago.

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Sep 24, 2003
  10. Chris Smith <> horrified us with:

    >> Slash <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely
    >>> check out JCreator and NetBeans!

    > Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    >>
    >> Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest
    >> ruckus about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

    > AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
    > thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
    > not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as
    > well, and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few
    > years ago.

    I don't think the OP meant GUI editing, but if he did, there IS such a beast
    (eclipse plugin) with a stoopid name:
    http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html

    It has a totally free community edition too. A little rough around the
    edges for installation, but it's worth a shot.

    I have /other/ issues with eclipse though, but am feeling tired of hollering
    about them. :(
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 24, 2003
  11. "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote in message news:Sekcb.1568$...

    > I have /other/ issues with eclipse though, but am feeling tired of

    hollering
    > about them. :(

    Get Intellij IDEA then :) http://www.intellij.com/idea/ You'll be less
    tired ;-)

    Shane
    Shane Mingins, Sep 24, 2003
  12. Slash

    Tim Ward Guest

    "Slash" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely check
    > out JCreator and NetBeans!

    I find NetBeans has an awful lot of serious problems (bugs and performance
    being the two at the top of the list, but there are others).

    That's compared to Visual Studio, however; it's entirely possible that there
    isn't a better Java IDE.

    --
    Tim Ward
    Tim Ward, Sep 25, 2003
  13. "Tim Ward" <> wrote in message
    > I find NetBeans has an awful lot of serious problems (bugs and performance
    > being the two at the top of the list, but there are others).
    >
    > That's compared to Visual Studio, however; it's entirely possible that

    there
    > isn't a better Java IDE.

    There is! It's found at http://www.intellij.com/idea/ but is sounded like

    1. the OP wanted an IDE with a GUI builder on it ... which IMO is not how
    most people create serious Swing/GUI applications

    and ...

    2. the OP wanted a practically FREE IDE, which IDEA is not ... but what's
    $500 USD for the coolest IDE avaliable ;-)

    Depending on your requirements try an eval copy of IDEA .... it's just
    brilliant to use!

    Shane
    --
    hes

    remove clothes before replying

    "It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
    intelligent, but the one most responsive to change." --- Charles Darwin
    Shane Mingins, Sep 25, 2003
  14. Slash

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:18:38 +1200, "Shane Mingins"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >1. the OP wanted an IDE with a GUI builder on it ... which IMO is not how
    >most people create serious Swing/GUI applications

    I have posted a proposal for an alternative called the Swing
    Amanuensis.

    See http://mindprod.com/projswingamanuensis.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Sep 25, 2003
  15. Shane Mingins <> horrified us with:

    > "Tim Ward" <> wrote in message
    >> I find NetBeans has an awful lot of serious problems (bugs and
    >> performance being the two at the top of the list, but there are
    >> others).
    >>
    >> That's compared to Visual Studio, however; it's entirely possible
    >> that there isn't a better Java IDE.
    >>

    > There is! It's found at http://www.intellij.com/idea/ but is
    > sounded like
    >
    > 1. the OP wanted an IDE with a GUI builder on it ... which IMO is not
    > how most people create serious Swing/GUI applications
    >
    > and ...
    >
    > 2. the OP wanted a practically FREE IDE, which IDEA is not ... but
    > what's $500 USD for the coolest IDE avaliable ;-)
    >
    > Depending on your requirements try an eval copy of IDEA .... it's just
    > brilliant to use!

    I might consider such a payment, MAYBE, if I knew that they wouldn't
    continue to soak me for revision after revision after revision the way most
    software makers do.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 26, 2003
  16. Slash

    Tim Ward Guest

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <>
    wrote in message news:LeZcb.5273$...

    > I might consider such a payment, MAYBE, if I knew that they wouldn't
    > continue to soak me for revision after revision after revision the way

    most
    > software makers do.

    Well, you want them to fix bugs and keep up with evolving standards don't
    you? How else are they going to pay their programmers, given that nobody can
    be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this type of software any
    more?

    --
    Tim Ward
    Tim Ward, Sep 29, 2003
  17. Tim Ward <> horrified us with:

    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <> wrote in
    > message news:LeZcb.5273$...
    >>
    >> I might consider such a payment, MAYBE, if I knew that they wouldn't
    >> continue to soak me for revision after revision after revision the
    >> way most software makers do.

    > Well, you want them to fix bugs and keep up with evolving standards
    > don't you? How else are they going to pay their programmers, given
    > that nobody can be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this
    > type of software any more?

    I want them to "fix" the bugs they make for free, rather than quietly roll
    the bug fixes into a future rev. that I have to pay for.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 29, 2003
  18. Tim Ward <> horrified us with:

    ....[slash]...

    > How else are they going to pay their programmers, given
    > that nobody can be persuaded to sign a maintenance contract for this
    > type of software any more?

    Where did you get this information?
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 29, 2003
  19. Slash

    Ravi Guest

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:57:00 -0400, "Slash"
    <> wrote:

    >Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
    >figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
    >looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
    >creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
    >but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
    >to find something similar. Please advise.

    How come no one here recommended Gel?
    I'm using it. It's pretty good.
    --
    main(){char s[40]="sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn!ps!CSbwjACjhgppu/dpn";
    int i;for(i=0;i<39;putchar(s[i++]-1));return 0;}
    Ravi, Sep 29, 2003
  20. Ravi <> horrified us with:

    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:57:00 -0400, "Slash"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
    >> group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
    >> be this group. I'm looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive
    >> (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for creating stand-alone apps and
    >> applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe, but I understand it's
    >> been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping to find
    >> something similar. Please advise.

    > How come no one here recommended Gel?
    > I'm using it. It's pretty good.
    > --
    > main(){char s[40]="sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn!ps!CSbwjACjhgppu/dpn";
    > int i;for(i=0;i<39;putchar(s[i++]-1));return 0;}

    How can it be good if it allowed you to write C with it? LOL
    Thomas G. Marshall, Sep 29, 2003