Visual InterDev 6 web project wizard and IIS question

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by strutsng@gmail.com, Sep 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have 3 questions regarding IIS and ASP project creation in Visual
    InterDev 6.

    1) In Visual InterDev 6, When I create a new project using web project
    wizard, I
    put C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj as location, and it shows the following
    error:

    cannot create a disk-based web application in
    'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local'. You cannot configure
    'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local' as a frontpage web, because
    the directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj' above it is already configured
    as a frontpage web. You can open that web instead.

    2) In step 1, the server I entered 127.0.0.1 for my local machine,
    but what mode I should use: master mode or local mode? What's the
    differences?

    3) In IIS console, the default home directory is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot,
    can we change
    to other directory, for example, C:\projects? I have heard it will
    create problems
    if we do that.

    Please advise. thanks!!

    , Sep 30, 2005

  2. Roland Hall Guest

    :
    : 1) In Visual InterDev 6, When I create a new project using web project
    : wizard, I
    : put C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj as location, and it shows the following
    : error:

    You can't create a project because one already exists.

    : cannot create a disk-based web application in
    : 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local'. You cannot configure
    : 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj\proj_Local' as a frontpage web, because
    : the directory 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\proj' above it is already configured
    : as a frontpage web. You can open that web instead.

    Master mode looks for a URL to connect to a server running FPSE.

    : 2) In step 1, the server I entered 127.0.0.1 for my local machine,
    : but what mode I should use: master mode or local mode? What's the
    : differences?

    When creating a new project, you give it a name, not a URL or IP address.

    : 3) In IIS console, the default home directory is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot,
    : can we change
    : to other directory, for example, C:\projects? I have heard it will
    : create problems
    : if we do that.

    You can create a new web site wherever you want but you cannot do this with
    a desktop version of IIS because it only supports one. i.e. W2K Pro/XP Pro

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Sep 30, 2005