Visual Studio 2005 backwards compatible with classic ASP ?

wbsurfver

We have classic ASP running (so I'm told) on IIS 6, and I found a vbc
executable on the system that says visual basic 7 when I run vbc -
help . If I have them install Visual Studio 2005, I am hoping it is
backward compatible with our current ASP codebase ?

Bob Barrows [MVP]

We have classic ASP running (so I'm told) on IIS 6, and I found a vbc
executable on the system that says visual basic 7 when I run vbc -
help . If I have them install Visual Studio 2005, I am hoping it is
backward compatible with our current ASP codebase ?

Visual Studio has nothing to do with running or compiling ASP vbscript
(or otherwise) code. You can use VS2005 as a text editor because that is
all .asp files are: text.

wbsurfver

You've talked about IIs,vbc exec, vb7, VS2005, ASP...

What is your specific ASP question ?

1. there are specific websites that mention debugging classic ASP with
Visual Studio 2005, having a debugger handy seems like a good idea (I
know you have print statements, but if a debug facility is availoable
I would like to try to use it)

2. We have some dll files that someone previously authored and we no
longer have the source code or it was never supplied to us. I may need
to create other dll files, or if there are tools in VS (which some
books seemed to indicate there was) in order to examine the dll's to
see what methods they have, that might also be usefull.

I just want to see if I can find out if I use VS2005, that whatever I
do will work with these older dll's etc.

Mike Brind

Jon Paal said:
This is not an ASP question.
It is a Visual Studio question and should be posted to a VS group.

Crikey. It seemed close enough to being an ASP question to me. The fella
just wanted to know if he can get much use from VS with asp. Or is this
group so rushed off it's feet that people can only ask code questions
nowadays?