    help . If I have them install Visual Studio 2005, I am hoping it is
    backward compatible with our current ASP codebase ?
    , Oct 9, 2007

  2. wrote:
    > We have classic ASP running (so I'm told) on IIS 6, and I found a vbc
    > executable on the system that says visual basic 7 when I run vbc -
    > help . If I have them install Visual Studio 2005, I am hoping it is
    > backward compatible with our current ASP codebase ?

    Visual Studio has nothing to do with running or compiling ASP vbscript
    (or otherwise) code. You can use VS2005 as a text editor because that is
    all .asp files are: text.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 9, 2007

    On Oct 9, 1:16 pm, "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot
    com> wrote:
    > You've talked about IIs,vbc exec, vb7, VS2005, ASP...
    >
    > What is your specific ASP question ?
    >
    > "" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > We have classic ASP running (so I'm told) on IIS 6, and I found a vbc
    > > executable on the system that says visual basic 7 when I run vbc -
    > > help . If I have them install Visual Studio 2005, I am hoping it is
    > > backward compatible with our current ASP codebase ?

    1. there are specific websites that mention debugging classic ASP with
    Visual Studio 2005, having a debugger handy seems like a good idea (I
    know you have print statements, but if a debug facility is availoable
    I would like to try to use it)

    2. We have some dll files that someone previously authored and we no
    longer have the source code or it was never supplied to us. I may need
    to create other dll files, or if there are tools in VS (which some
    books seemed to indicate there was) in order to examine the dll's to
    see what methods they have, that might also be usefull.

    I just want to see if I can find out if I use VS2005, that whatever I
    do will work with these older dll's etc.
    , Oct 9, 2007
  4. Mike Brind Guest

    "Jon Paal [MSMD]" <Jon nospam Paal @ everywhere dot com> wrote in message
    > This is not an ASP question.
    > It is a Visual Studio question and should be posted to a VS group.

    Crikey. It seemed close enough to being an ASP question to me. The fella
    just wanted to know if he can get much use from VS with asp. Or is this
    group so rushed off it's feet that people can only ask code questions
    nowadays?
    Mike Brind, Oct 16, 2007