Visual Studio & Windows Web Hosts

newbie

I am just learning .NET, and would like to get a hosting account to "play".
I'm not very concerned if the site goes down occasionally, etc. as it will
be used strictly for the purpose of learning, and for that reason price is a
large concern.

That being said, I've been looking at 1and1.com, as it seems to have very
attractive deals for Windows hosting. The question I have is that I've
noticed some web hosts say "compatable with Visual Studio" or "supports
code-behind", others (including 1and1.com) don't mention it. As long as the
server is Windows 2003, with framework 1.1, shouldn't the Studio work on the
site?

Also, does anyone have any experience with .NET development on that host?

Thanks in advance.

Marius Greuel

I strongly recommend not to go with 1&1. I tried them, and was very
disappointed with the service, technical support, etc. There were
several bugs (my password was truncated to 8 chars without warning,
ASP.NET did not work at all, I could not point my domain to there DNS
servers, etc.). After two phone calls I finally had a 'Hello World'
page going. When I uploaded my website, I found out that they use
'Code Access Security' to isolate web applications. Trust level is set
to a minimum, which means no unmanaged code, no COM, no ADO, etc.
Pretty ridicules for a service provider to turn off services many
customers will need. I guess if they use CAS instead of process
isolation, they save a little memory so they can put more websites on
a single machine. Didn't even get my money back so I wasted around
$60. Anyway, don't go with 1&1. They suck big time.

If you want to play, try:
http://www.brinkster.com/

If you need a cheap host (starting at $5/month), try:
http://www.webhost4life.com/

Marius

Leon Mayne [MVP]

newbie said:
I am just learning .NET, and would like to get a hosting account to
"play". I'm not very concerned if the site goes down occasionally,
etc. as it will be used strictly for the purpose of learning, and for
that reason price is a large concern.

In VS.NET 2003 in your start page, click 'Online Resources', then 'Web
Hosting' and then click 'Additional providers'. This will give you a list of
companies that will give some free 'playground' hosting webspace which you
can use to learn .NET

Andrew D. Newbould

Marius said:
I strongly recommend not to go with 1&1. I tried them, and was very
disappointed with the service, technical support, etc. There were
several bugs (my password was truncated to 8 chars without warning,
ASP.NET did not work at all, I could not point my domain to there DNS
servers, etc.). After two phone calls I finally had a 'Hello World'
page going. When I uploaded my website, I found out that they use
'Code Access Security' to isolate web applications. Trust level is set
to a minimum, which means no unmanaged code, no COM, no ADO, etc.
Pretty ridicules for a service provider to turn off services many
customers will need. I guess if they use CAS instead of process
isolation, they save a little memory so they can put more websites on
a single machine. Didn't even get my money back so I wasted around
$60. Anyway, don't go with 1&1. They suck big time.

<Snip...>

I'm sorry to here you say that about 1&1.

I have 4 web sites active through them and have not had any problems
what so ever.