VS 05 noob: Where is my Bin directory?

Guest

Ok, we have just delved full force in to VS 05 and I am fairly comfortable
with the layout. But I think I have run into my first gotcha.

I setup a web application doesn't produce a /bin with a compiled DLL for the
site.
I looked in the prop pages and there seems to be a way of manually creating
a DLL to a specified directory using msbuild. Also, my friend tells me that
you can now just put the raw .cs files in the web directory and .NET 2.0
compiles it on the fly. Is this so? How can I set things up to compile my web
apps like in 03?

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

A said:
Ok, we have just delved full force in to VS 05 and I am fairly comfortable
with the layout. But I think I have run into my first gotcha.

I setup a web application doesn't produce a /bin with a compiled DLL for the
site.
I looked in the prop pages and there seems to be a way of manually creating
a DLL to a specified directory using msbuild. Also, my friend tells me that
you can now just put the raw .cs files in the web directory and .NET 2.0
compiles it on the fly. Is this so? How can I set things up to compile my web
apps like in 03?

Since this question gets asked at least once a week since the release of
VS2005, maybe Google would have helped you faster ;-)

See this:
http://webproject.scottgu.com/

Greetings,
Laurent

Guest

Maybe if MS hadn't altered the compilation model this group wouldn't have
reposts like this. Obviously .NET developers were not happy with the change
or MS wouldn't have produced this addin to replicate past functionality.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Obviously .NET developers were not happy with the change
or MS wouldn't have produced this addin to replicate past functionality.

You're right.
Aren't you glad MS listens to the developers who use .Net ?

Note that *both* functionalities are available,
so that everybody gets a piece of the cake they like.

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

A said:
Maybe if MS hadn't altered the compilation model this group wouldn't have
reposts like this. Obviously .NET developers were not happy with the change
or MS wouldn't have produced this addin to replicate past functionality.

I didn't mean my post as a criticism. Just noting that while newsgroups
are great, Google often helps faster than NGs, since many answers are
already out there.

About the new compilation model, it is great for websites, not so great
for web applications. It would have been better to offer both from the
start.

Also, the add-in was initiated by Scott Guthrie and his team, so not
directly by the Visual Studio people, rather by the Atlas team. Note
also that in VS2005, it's very easy to create your own templates, and to
modify the behaviour of VS to make it fit your personal preferences.

HTH,
Laurent