VS 2003 Remote Debugging on Win2K

Guest

Error Msg: Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on
the web server. Access is denied.

After many hours of scanning MS KB's, newsgroups, and msdn trying all of the
suggestions, I'm still stuck. I've attempted to implement all the
combinations of users, access rights, remote aspx configurations, and local
policies to no avail. Does anyone have a handle on this common error? Maybe
some unpublished trick to getting the remote debugging to work? Anything
would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Guest

I've had success, and maybe some explanation of connecting to both Win2K and
2003 servers hosting the .NET framework. I've seen about a million answers,
but I stumbled up on a solution after finally being smart enough to at least
pay attention to the servers event log. In my case, the client machine is
part of its own workgroup logged in as a non-administrator. Note that no
errors occurred with the VS 2003 client when it prompted me to log into the
remote server. Only when I would try to 'debug' the app would it fail.

When the Server is in its own workgroup, similar to the client machine, you
need to setup a matching user account (name and password) before trying to
remotely debug. Remember that this user account must have all the privileges
needed on the server to debug in .NET.

I don't know right now what the answer to this might be if the server is on
a domain. I'm thinking that might be some similarity in user setup.

Chris